Local End of the World (Dec 21, by the way)...

sheremey

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
My home "supercomputer" was hit by the local "end of the world" event on Dec 21, when we had a power outage for more than 12 HOURS.
The rig is powered via CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Compatible 1500VA 900W Pure Sine Wave Tower UPS and have 750W Corsair PSU.
Unfortunately, when I noticed the outage, it was too late and the computer was already shut down the "bad way" (or was it in hybernation before that - I am not 100% sure).

The thing is, it has EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD with 2 displays connected, and one of the displays was out of signal after the "end of the world" event. The next day, the second display went black as well, and the computer showed a spontaneous auto-restart during startup (I can see this by sounds and LEDs on the box, nothing shows up on monitors).

My current hypothesis: something happened to GPU, it started to drain more power, then things went worse by affecting the signal to the second monitor etc.

The question is: how to test the rig the right way to find out the true reason for what is happening now?

Thanks!

sheremey

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
any feedback?
Complication: the motherboard has no on-board video and I don't have a spare video card.
A new video card is coming in the mail but I want to make sure I am not going to burn it by blindly inserting into the current system. Any SPECIFIC tests / precautions that could be recommended before doing this? Thanks!

sheremey

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

i7-2600K
It does.
However, I am really puzzled how to use processor's GPU abilities if the motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 - has no means to connect any display without a dedicated GPU (or am I missing something?)

Thanks!

furry87

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
No you are right it doesn't have any video outputs whatsoever. I'm not really sure what you could do apart from using that new GPU with one screen attached. I would personally go over the whole system with side of the case off and look to see if the GPU fan spins during bootup etc try a different cable in the screen too, just check every possiblity first thats what i usaually do.