Local Groups

Chris

Does anyone know where local groups are stored? I need to
restore group data and need to know where it resides.
Thanks

I will assume you mean on a member server or standalone. That information is in
the SAM Database which is basically a secured portion of the registry.

joe

www.joeware.net

Chris wrote:
> Does anyone know where local groups are stored? I need to
> restore group data and need to know where it resides.
> Thanks

Ok, if I restore the db to it's original location will
the local groups come back? BTW this is a membar server
but the groups reside on the machine. Thanks for the
help! Is there a way toe restore groups. I had to rebuild
the OS and lost my local groups, I have tape backup but
need help restoring the groups. I assume there will be
some manual work fixing broken SID's and such.

Services
>www.joeware.net
>

>Chris wrote:
>> Does anyone know where local groups are stored? I need
>> restore group data and need to know where it resides.
>> Thanks
>.

Hmm good questions. I am trying to think back to the last time I did anything
like this and not doing well.

I think in your place I would try to bare metal restore the OS back and go from
there. If you can't do that with your production machine, I would do it in the
lab, grab the groups with addusers and then recreate them on the member, and use
subinacl to reacl the resources.

www.joeware.net