local logon

andres

A friend of mine bought a notebook with windows nt 4 as OS, this notebook
worked before in a domain because is listed in the logon window, now, the
problem is that every password we enter fails because nt tries to logon in a
domain, i want to logon at the local machine, not the domain, because is not
present anymore, the local computer is not in the list of available
locations to logon.

Please help me, i can't logon even in vga mode.

thanks in advance....

If the local computer name is not listed in the drop down box then this
machine must be running NT Server and it is configured as some type of
Domain Controller. You will need to the administrator password to get it.
Did they get this used? Can he talk to the people he bought it from to get
this info? A reinstall of the OS may be your only option.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Andres" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> A friend of mine bought a notebook with windows nt 4 as OS, this notebook
> worked before in a domain because is listed in the logon window, now, the
> problem is that every password we enter fails because nt tries to logon in
> domain, i want to logon at the local machine, not the domain, because is
not
> present anymore, the local computer is not in the list of available
> locations to logon.
>
> Please help me, i can't logon even in vga mode.
>
> thanks in advance....

andres

oh, that's bad, yes, is used, and the last owner forgot the password ( i do
not understand that), he give me a password he thinks will work for
administrator account and i enter it and same thing happens (nt tries to log
on on domain saying it is not present) if the password for administrator is
correct, how do i enter windows as you said?

Really thanks for the reply,

"Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
| If the local computer name is not listed in the drop down box then this
| machine must be running NT Server and it is configured as some type of
| Domain Controller. You will need to the administrator password to get it.
| Did they get this used? Can he talk to the people he bought it from to get
| this info? A reinstall of the OS may be your only option.
|
| --
| Scott Harding
| MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
| Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
|
| "Andres" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
| > A friend of mine bought a notebook with windows nt 4 as OS, this
notebook
| > worked before in a domain because is listed in the logon window, now,
the
| > problem is that every password we enter fails because nt tries to logon
in
| > domain, i want to logon at the local machine, not the domain, because is
| not
| > present anymore, the local computer is not in the list of available
| > locations to logon.
| >
| > Please help me, i can't logon even in vga mode.
| >
| > thanks in advance....

There are ways to reset the admin password. Do a google.com search and
you'll find some.

--

"andres" <an@nomail.com> wrote in message
> oh, that's bad, yes, is used, and the last owner forgot the password ( i
do
> not understand that), he give me a password he thinks will work for
> administrator account and i enter it and same thing happens (nt tries to
log
> on on domain saying it is not present) if the password for administrator
is
> correct, how do i enter windows as you said?
>
> Really thanks for the reply,
>

> "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in
message
> | If the local computer name is not listed in the drop down box then this
> | machine must be running NT Server and it is configured as some type of
> | Domain Controller. You will need to the administrator password to get
it.
> | Did they get this used? Can he talk to the people he bought it from to
get
> | this info? A reinstall of the OS may be your only option.
> |
> | --
> | Scott Harding
> | MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> | Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
> |
> | "Andres" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> | > A friend of mine bought a notebook with windows nt 4 as OS, this
> notebook
> | > worked before in a domain because is listed in the logon window, now,
> the
> | > problem is that every password we enter fails because nt tries to
logon
> in
> | > domain, i want to logon at the local machine, not the domain, because
is
> | not
> | > present anymore, the local computer is not in the list of available
> | > locations to logon.
> | >
> | > Please help me, i can't logon even in vga mode.
> | >
> | > thanks in advance....

andres

thanks, that worked!

thanks.

| There are ways to reset the admin password. Do a google.com search and
| you'll find some.
|
| --
| Scott Harding
| MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
| Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
|
| "andres" <an@nomail.com> wrote in message
| > oh, that's bad, yes, is used, and the last owner forgot the password ( i
| do
| > not understand that), he give me a password he thinks will work for
| > administrator account and i enter it and same thing happens (nt tries to
| log
| > on on domain saying it is not present) if the password for administrator
| is
| > correct, how do i enter windows as you said?
| >
| > Really thanks for the reply,
| >

| > "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in
| message
| > | If the local computer name is not listed in the drop down box then
this
| > | machine must be running NT Server and it is configured as some type of
| > | Domain Controller. You will need to the administrator password to get
| it.
| > | Did they get this used? Can he talk to the people he bought it from to
| get
| > | this info? A reinstall of the OS may be your only option.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Scott Harding
| > | MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+