Local Network: WIn XP Win Me file sharing error

Adam

Hi:

I have two computers separated by 150 feet, so file sharing is important. My
Win XP computer has files that I want to copy and send to a folder on my Win
Me computer. From the Win XP computer I get an error message telling me that
I do not have Network permission to copy and transfer the file to the Win Me
computer. From the Win Me computer, I can open the Win Xp file that I want
and copy and transfer to the Win Me computer. This defeats the purpose of
being able to more conveniently copy and transfer files while seated at the
Win XP computer. On which computer are my settings incorrect that I am
getting Network permission errors?

Thanks.

Adam

In article <3C4C8ABB-5D17-49CA-B1BD-7D32FAC44BB5@microsoft.com>,
"adam" <adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Hi:
>
>I have two computers separated by 150 feet, so file sharing is important. My
>Win XP computer has files that I want to copy and send to a folder on my Win
>Me computer. From the Win XP computer I get an error message telling me that
>I do not have Network permission to copy and transfer the file to the Win Me
>computer. From the Win Me computer, I can open the Win Xp file that I want
>and copy and transfer to the Win Me computer. This defeats the purpose of
>being able to more conveniently copy and transfer files while seated at the
>Win XP computer. On which computer are my settings incorrect that I am
>getting Network permission errors?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Ada

I suspect that the shared folder on the Win Me computer is configured
to give Read-Only access to the other computer. On the Win Me
computer:

1. Right-click it the shared folder.
2. Click Sharing.
3. Configure it for Full access.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Adam

Hi Steve:

I uncheck the Read-Only attribute in the folder and subfolder that I want to
share, thus making them Full-Access. I select Apply and close the folder(s),
but when I re-open the folders the Read-Only attribute is again bulleted. How
do I get the Full-Access attribute to stick?

Thanks.

Adam

In article <6306A29E-47E5-48A5-81AD-DC7664A61F20@microsoft.com>,
"adam" <adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> >I have two computers separated by 150 feet, so file sharing is important. My
>> >Win XP computer has files that I want to copy and send to a folder on my Win
>> >Me computer. From the Win XP computer I get an error message telling me that
>> >I do not have Network permission to copy and transfer the file to the Win Me
>> >computer. From the Win Me computer, I can open the Win Xp file that I want
>> >and copy and transfer to the Win Me computer. This defeats the purpose of
>> >being able to more conveniently copy and transfer files while seated at the
>> >Win XP computer. On which computer are my settings incorrect that I am
>> >getting Network permission errors?
>>
>> I suspect that the shared folder on the Win Me computer is configured
>> to give Read-Only access to the other computer. On the Win Me
>> computer:
>>
>> 1. Right-click it the shared folder.
>> 2. Click Sharing.
>> 3. Configure it for Full access.
>
>Hi Steve:
>
>I uncheck the Read-Only attribute in the folder and subfolder that I want to
>share, thus making them Full-Access. I select Apply and close the folder(s),
>but when I re-open the folders the Read-Only attribute is again bulleted. How
>do I get the Full-Access attribute to stick?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Adam

You're welcome, Adam. Try this:

1. Un-share and then re-share the folder on Win Me, making sure to
specify Full access.

2. Reboot XP.

Then, see if access works.