[SOLVED] Local Storage and Backup Solution to Avoid Data Corruption

Apr 28, 2021
Hello,
For years I have improvised my own backup "system" to protect my data. I would rather my car fall into a volcano than loose the 700ish GB of data on my main SSD. Can you answer my questions about how data works and give me some advice?

For some background, I exclusively use a laptop and have a Samsung T5 1TB SSD which has all of my data on it (music library with custom metadata, work projects, important documents, etc). Periodically, I copy the whole contents onto other HDD as backups, however, I am worried that (1) copying data itself runs a risk of data corrupting it and (2) wiping and rewriting about 700 GB of data on a hard drive every six months or so will ware it out. I don't know a lot about this. So, here are my questions:

1. Over the years I upgrade my external drive from time to time, and right now all of the data on my main drive is a copy of a copy of a copy, but with no issues. If I copy all of my data to a new drive every year, will it eventually become corrupt?

2. If I want to store and backup my data locally, it there a "protocol" or method that will ensure it does not become corrupted even ten years down the line?

3. Is there a good automatic backup software that keeps an up-to-date copy of my main drive, even if I am always re-arranging the file structure on it?

(I do not want to use a cloud solution because I live in the Auzzie outback and my internet is very slow and has a small data cap).

If you can give me any advice about this I would appreciate it.

Best,
Furriest Ferret

Solution
as 3 and 4 TB external USB drives are about $50 these days, you should be able to find at least 2, using them alternatingly to backup your data...

I'd put the most irreplaceable/valuable of data/files/photos on multiple free cloud storage accounts as well...(if you'd prefer, you can encrypt assorted folders via 7-zip prior to uploading...)
as 3 and 4 TB external USB drives are about $50 these days, you should be able to find at least 2, using them alternatingly to backup your data...

I'd put the most irreplaceable/valuable of data/files/photos on multiple free cloud storage accounts as well...(if you'd prefer, you can encrypt assorted folders via 7-zip prior to uploading...)

Solution
Apr 28, 2021
Hey mdd1963,
Thanks for your reply - Yeah I suppose you cannot beat cloud storage for important things. Just ordered another 1TB SSD, so I will have three external backups now. Next I just need to build a vault made of lead and I'm ready for WW3 ;)

TRENDING THREADS