[SOLVED] Local Storage Server Options?

Hi All,

I own a small Startup of 3 people (we might need a 4th real soon).

I'm looking at available storage options that is not OneDrive because that is trash and never works properly for us. Dropbox is a bit too expensive for us at the moment and we don't need something that's accessible anywhere. Just at our office.

I've looked into NAS but I don't require a 50Tb server with unRAID in case of drive failure. Plus it's quite expensive.

I'm looking for a quick and relatively cheap method that'll allow me to create some sort of Wireless Storage option at our office where we can all store our files into. Something with a couple of 4Tb HDD's.Hopefully with the possibility to add an Intel Optane Module or a Samsung SSD for caching.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
No point caching if accessing it wirelessly, the wifi will be a lot slower than any disk. Similar for any 'normal' network.

Why not just get a small NAS? or get a part populated one.

Make sure to budget for a backup system too, this is a business, there are 2 (soon 3) other peoples livelihoods dependant on this solution. The cost of backing up the 8TB of storage must be built in to the budget for the storage.
No point caching if accessing it wirelessly, the wifi will be a lot slower than any disk. Similar for any 'normal' network.

Why not just get a small NAS? or get a part populated one.

Make sure to budget for a backup system too, this is a business, there are 2 (soon 3) other peoples livelihoods dependant on this solution. The cost of backing up the 8TB of storage must be built in to the budget for the storage.

Last edited:
Solution

hypogogic

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
A small NAS will be fine but make sure you use passwords, RAID one or five, encryption and backup if it's for business especially if it's holding customer details. GDPR says if you don't you could cop it. These are all usually free and implementing them just takes a little time.

It will also be a little costly but worth the investment. The suggestion above for Synology seems good but shop around.

If you're technically minded you could also check out FREENAS. A software which allows you to make a NAS on the cheap and install and run the free software. After all a NAS is just a computer on the network with a bunch of drives attached.

Hope this helps