Locate turbo specs for i5 7400

jpe1701

Honorable
Where would I look to find out what an i5 7400 would turbo to on all cores, not just the single core turbo of 3.5ghz? I've googled a lot and can't find it. Is it different for each chip?

Solution
D
It used to be fairly linear. I had an i7 2600K. Base 3.4Ghz to Turbo 3.8Ghz. With Turbo enabled all 4 cores ran at 3.5Ghz, 3 cores at 3.6Ghz, 2 cores at 3.7Ghz and a single core would boost to 3.8Ghz.

They updated Turbo though as I said above and things no longer scale linearly like that any more.
D

Deleted member 217926

Looks like a 3Ghz base, 3.5Ghz Turbo chip. Turbo used to be linear and easy to predict but in the last few generations ( Skylake, Kaby Lake ) Turbo has been updated and is more dynamic making it harder to predict. It depends on load, cooling and voltages. You are really going to only see a single core at 3.5Ghz though.

jpe1701

Honorable
Mine seems to run at 3.3 most all of the time, with one core going up to 3.5 occasionally, and 2 or 3 cores up to 3.4 occasionally. I just wanted to see how it compared to others. I was kind of thinking it would be slower than it is so I'm pleasantly surprised.

D

Deleted member 217926

It used to be fairly linear. I had an i7 2600K. Base 3.4Ghz to Turbo 3.8Ghz. With Turbo enabled all 4 cores ran at 3.5Ghz, 3 cores at 3.6Ghz, 2 cores at 3.7Ghz and a single core would boost to 3.8Ghz.

They updated Turbo though as I said above and things no longer scale linearly like that any more.

Solution

jpe1701

Honorable
Old thread. You won't see more than 3.3ghz except for with a single core for a short time. A lot of times you will see it if you leave your monitoring software going while it's at idle and a background process uses a single core for a second, but with a load like prime 95 or aida64 it's going to be the all core of 3.3.