Locating app games on a new install of Windows 10?

MatthewScott

Reputable
May 6, 2014
Hello,
Basically I had to swap motherboards recently so I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 10.
I have Gears of War saved onto my storage drive as I'm only using a 250gb SSD for Windows so I didn't want to put it there.
I can still see the download for Gears of War 4 in my storage drive but can't launch it or find a way for the store to locate/detect it.
Is there any way around this or is this a flaw with the Windows store? - Don't really want to have to download 73 gb's for Gears again if I don't need to.
Cheers.

Solution
What you have to understand is that even though you installed it to a diferent drive, there are files and registry keys that had to be written to the OS for it to work correctly.

Now that you wiped that OS and installed a new one, those files and keys are no longer, thus you have to reinstall the game.

You can lookup each individual game and see how to save your data.

MatthewScott

Reputable
May 6, 2014
Hello,

I never installed it to the OS in the first place, all the files are located on a separate drive. With stuff like Overwatch and Steam games I can just locate the games without needing to re-download them again. I was just wondering if this was possible with UWP games in my circumstances. Does it place something on the OS that is 100% required for launching the game?

What you have to understand is that even though you installed it to a diferent drive, there are files and registry keys that had to be written to the OS for it to work correctly.

Now that you wiped that OS and installed a new one, those files and keys are no longer, thus you have to reinstall the game.

You can lookup each individual game and see how to save your data.

Solution