[SOLVED] Locating x370 chipset drivers in device manager

jpe1701

Honorable
The system that I am asking about is the one in my signature.
The newer chipset drivers for am4 have been split off from the Radeon software so that there isn't a conflict with AMD GPU drivers when you install but it used to tell you what version you had and allow you to uninstall it. My problem is that the latest chipset driver installer keeps throwing an error that it's only supposed to be deployed on AMD systems even though I'm on a ryzen system. AMD support says to uninstall the previous drivers and after a couple of quick back and forth messages asking about the problem I told them I couldn't locate it in device manager. I got a message back saying since I couldn't locate it I should reinstall Windows. I asked them what I should be looking for because I had been googling for a couple days trying to do it myself because I'm not a newbie when it comes to computers and they closed my ticket. So hopefully one of you fellow Toms Hardwareites can tell me how do I go about uninstalling these newer chipset packages and or what are they listed as in device manager?
Tldr: How do I uninstall the newer x370 chipset drivers and what are they listed as in device manager?

Solution
The newer chipset drivers for am4 have been split off from the Radeon software so that there isn't a conflict with AMD GPU drivers when you install but it used to tell you what version you had and allow you to uninstall it. My problem is that the latest chipset driver installer keeps throwing an error that it's only supposed to be deployed on AMD systems even though I'm on a ryzen system. AMD support says to uninstall the previous drivers and after a couple of quick back and forth messages asking about the problem I told them I couldn't locate it in device manager. I got a message back saying since I couldn't locate it I should reinstall Windows. I asked them what I...
The newer chipset drivers for am4 have been split off from the Radeon software so that there isn't a conflict with AMD GPU drivers when you install but it used to tell you what version you had and allow you to uninstall it. My problem is that the latest chipset driver installer keeps throwing an error that it's only supposed to be deployed on AMD systems even though I'm on a ryzen system. AMD support says to uninstall the previous drivers and after a couple of quick back and forth messages asking about the problem I told them I couldn't locate it in device manager. I got a message back saying since I couldn't locate it I should reinstall Windows. I asked them what I should be looking for because I had been googling for a couple days trying to do it myself because I'm not a newbie when it comes to computers and they closed my ticket. So hopefully one of you fellow Toms Hardwareites can tell me how do I go about uninstalling these newer chipset packages and or what are they listed as in device manager?
Tldr: How do I uninstall the newer x370 chipset drivers and what are they listed as in device manager?
There are no Chipset or chipset drivers as such in Device Manager because it has several devices in one chip. There used to be North and South bridge handling different parts but now it's all in one chip. There are USB, PCI/PCIe, SATA and ACPI as well as I/O devices. You can get separate drivers for some of those devices and/or update whole chipset driver at once. All you have to do is to download chipset driver and let it update, it will uninstall old ones and install new ones. Newest drivers are on AMD drivers site https://www.amd.com/en/support
You could renew W10 without loosing any data or programs b y running "Repair install" Just need same windows version you have and start SETUP.EXE from it's ISO mounted, ther you can choose to "keep everything" which will just replace system files and not touch anything else.

Last edited:
Solution

jpe1701

Honorable
There are no Chipset or chipset drivers as such in Device Manager because it has several devices in one chip. There used to be North and South bridge handling different parts but now it's all in one chip. There are USB, PCI/PCIe, SATA and ACPI as well as I/O devices. You can get separate drivers for some of those devices and/or update whole chipset driver at once. All you have to do is to download chipset driver and let it update, it will uninstall old ones and install new ones. Newest drivers are on AMD drivers site https://www.amd.com/en/support
You could renew W10 without loosing any data or programs b y running "Repair install" Just need same windows version you have and start SETUP.EXE from it's ISO mounted, ther you can choose to "keep everything" which will just replace system files and not touch anything else.
Thanks for the reply. I did try the newest installer but like I said it gives me an error that I have to be on an amd system and halts the installation even though it's an x370 board and ryzen 2700x. I just went ahead and deleted the c:\amd folder and allowed the installer to unpack the package and updated the individual drivers that were there. They weren't far out of date because I had installed the previous version a short time ago but I wanted the new ones for the new Ryzen aware windows scheduler. I might try the repair install because I'm picky about my computer though. But I figure I should just wait because I'm going to do a complete reinstall when I get my 3900x when they're actually in stock and it's running great anyways for now.

Thanks for the reply. I did try the newest installer but like I said it gives me an error that I have to be on an amd system and halts the installation even though it's an x370 board and ryzen 2700x. I just went ahead and deleted the c:\amd folder and allowed the installer to unpack the package and updated the individual drivers that were there. They weren't far out of date because I had installed the previous version a short time ago but I wanted the new ones for the new Ryzen aware windows scheduler. I might try the repair install because I'm picky about my computer though. But I figure I should just wait because I'm going to do a complete reinstall when I get my 3900x when they're actually in stock and it's running great anyways for now.
Which exact MB ? You might want to update BIOS now if you didn't do it already. Asus recommends to use BIOS and drivers that are tied to each other.

jpe1701

Honorable
Which exact MB ? You might want to update BIOS now if you didn't do it already. Asus recommends to use BIOS and drivers that are tied to each other.
It's the ASRock x370 Taichi. I'm on bios 5.60 and ASRock recommends not updating to 5.80 unless you have a ryzen 3000 chip. I've since learned from the x370 Taichi overclocking thread on ocn that the recommendation is just because they nixed support for some first gen chips so I will give it a shot in the morning.