Question Location for install

oakmeal

Commendable
Jul 16, 2019
So i got one HDD and one SSD(nvme m.2) My SSD is running windows and my HDD is just a extra storage. and steam says "choose location for install" now does this mean if i install it into my hdd does it still run off the SSD? or because it's installed into the HDD it will run on the HDD. Im still new at this stuff and just wondering and looking this up is weird. so maybe i can get a solid answer here if possible .

ZuRriX

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
if i install it into my hdd does it still run off the SSD?

No, you have to install it to the drive you want the program to run off of. Basically, if you want Steam to open fast, you install it on your SSD. If you want a game to open fast, you install it on your SSD.

If you install Steam as well as your games on a HDD, it will open it from that storage space (in this case the slower HDD), so you will wait a bit longer than if you were to install it on the SSD.

So, you want it to open fast - install it on the SSD.

Hope it helps. If it did, mark it as an answer. Cheers.

USAFRet

Titan
You want the Steam client on the SSD where your OS is.
Steam games, however, can be on either or both drives.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

oakmeal

Commendable
Jul 16, 2019
You want the Steam client on the SSD where your OS is.
Steam games, however, can be on either or both drives.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png
So as long as my SSD has the steam client and OS it doenst matter where i install it? because it's still gonna run on the SSD?

USAFRet

Titan
So as long as my SSD has the steam client and OS it doenst matter where i install it? because it's still gonna run on the SSD?
No.
Games that live on the HDD will still load at HDD speed.
Games that live on the SSD will load at SSD speed. But since most peoples SSD is somewhat small, and games can be quite large...that limits how many you can put on that drive.
Hence the option for having games on multiple physical drives.

What size/make/model is your SSD?

ZuRriX

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
As I said, if you really want it that much for your the games to load fast, install it on an SSD. If you want them to load slower, you install them on the HDD.

oakmeal

Commendable
Jul 16, 2019
YCz3Ny42h9zesH5WIZcGX_YkzekyJm_P2Gnwir8bI37cRpc5ybUxxDf5qIr6MGyobZl616l_Aw4IkdvipsXLgaBPvDXHZWtElP5Y3r0mEYZVA3e2IjmlgJ-ofgx4m3kEvVvGLtsuhr6Bfikz6u0syXt3snajSM85W7ik9x9QRKnx2veAOUoy4gbCrkqrlyNbjnA3jon9RQnVu-4iy2lCzfkPJQ0wWOln0CjbH4_JqZSv6fXteObPuF-3OMnJ8oBCwQOx52EreBh6d6NJZ7WZjNQtg3NzOHv2YKCREbHOYYJquvCnQ5S6VUn3nAp18X8ZRap3aW5PerVjDi5EDEAZv-bCN2d5RBWhmR9HkwS5v4jvEm8FkWG3h4k7Ze9BWi28ZRexS3vkgzNbIKsN8CFKw5VqYhaM46ZkDiCKZsRw1ws2sB0JePWhxpdOhk1PxanjXMTgDlwXFIpcTh94AuXmVyu8pXGpxKL-3x9QZwAra4FXOMiisSZLTgS4fAzLbsTAKwPWDuDrVgiA83ljwfWUuEf2CQX8oaur7GFbDg9s4a5TCzqlGzo9SWnnhThhgv5hy63GxNhnLeC3cTutoDXKqrosC1bnxE69aUY3E9DsQ-Xe-TFD3kc5aLFSDHlwvZAqRsbaz65MRgBUIrlWwn1Q9grhk3Iw4yztMnzWjCdAWiI6WjLQOlWpvmXZo-WliI6ouvxrOcEPqdPpt0m5BW_OSPkBf8t8mW95WIoM=s0-l75-ft-l75-ft
This should help lol i know i could have said it but pictures are better. But so basically from what i can gather if i want games to run at the best potential and i play a lot install on the SSD if i dont care about some games like old game or games i play every so often just put it on the HDD?
No.
Games that live on the HDD will still load at HDD speed.
Games that live on the SSD will load at SSD speed. But since most peoples SSD is somewhat small, and games can be quite large...that limits how many you can put on that drive.
Hence the option for having games on multiple physical drives.

What size/make/model is your SSD?
Pictures are better lol so basically if i play games a lot and want them to run fast put them on the SSD (also i just copied the windows from my HDD to my SSD my os now runs off ssd) but if i dont care about some games and play it every so often just download it on my HDD?

ZuRriX

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
if i want games to run at the best potential and i play a lot install on the SSD if i dont care about some games like old game or games i play every so often just put it on the HDD?
Yes... Well, no. If you install a game on an SSD, it's won't 'run better', meaning you're not gonna get 30 more FPS for just installing a game on an SSD. But, it will LOAD faster than if you install it on a hard drive.

Basically, you want your game to be opened really fast (a game you play every day)? Install it on the SSD.
A game you don't care about and play once every 3 months? Install it on the HDD.

P. S. I'm on my phone, so I can't share images. But just select your SSD when you're installing your game you want to load fast.

USAFRet

Titan
Pictures are better lol so basically if i play games a lot and want them to run fast put them on the SSD (also i just copied the windows from my HDD to my SSD my os now runs off ssd) but if i dont care about some games and play it every so often just download it on my HDD?
Basically, yes.

Also, how did you "copied the windows from my HDD to my SSD" ?
And you wiped everything on the old HDD?

USAFRet

Titan
I just used EASEUS just made everything from the HDD start up and everything go onto the SSD Migrated it https://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/ i used this to help me
And you've verified that the system boots from the SSD all by itself?
This is an often missed, but critical step in the cloning process.

At the end of that process, you power off, physically disconnect the old HDD, and power up, allowing the system to boot fromt he SSD by alone.

oakmeal

Commendable
Jul 16, 2019
And you've verified that the system boots from the SSD all by itself?
This is an often missed, but critical step in the cloning process.

At the end of that process, you power off, physically disconnect the old HDD, and power up, allowing the system to boot fromt he SSD by alone.
Yes I did that i made sure to and the disk at the front of the boot priority said PCIE SSD not HDD and i very clearly can tell a difference so i also definitely know i am running off the SSD and not the HDD much faster booting up the pc

oakmeal

Commendable
Jul 16, 2019
OK, just checking.
You'd be amazed at the number of people that get it a little bit wrong.
Yea when i first did it i couldnt find it so i just thought maybe if i just unplug the HDD not like it's going to do anything then right after turned it back on went to bios and there it was. plugged everything back in and running faster than before.

oakmeal

Commendable
Jul 16, 2019
OK, just checking.
You'd be amazed at the number of people that get it a little bit wrong.
Hey im also having some trouble and i am need to know i already have a post in the GPU section but i just dont know what kind of graphic card to get I have a MSI 1660 ti but i feel like it's not doing a good enough job sometimes i lag in other games idk why its here and there minecraft can barley stay 80 with 32 chunks and no i dont play minecraft but it can be a good bench mark at times lol. I got i7 8700k 32gb Msi z390 motherboard 650w 80+ gold evga so idk shadow of war sometimes lags and i feel like far cry 5 lags but not sure just odd