Location Free TV from SONY, there has to be away around it

Is there a another method of doing the same without spending $1000 plus?

SONY LOCATION FREE TV
http://www.time.com/time/2004/wireless/gadgets/4.html
http://12.155.226.67/flash.html

I would rather use my existing TV's to watch, but its the remote
viewing through the internet that interests me i.e. watching
recordings from my PVRs/DVRs away from home on a remote desktop with
high speed connection.

I have video capture cards in my desktops at home and also have the
broadband connection. What else I need? How would I stream the output
from home and also control that PVR/DVR from a remote location?