[SOLVED] Location not available / Users folder relocated to D Drive

mental2013

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2013
Hi,

I have Windows 7 on an SSD. The Users folder and Desktop is on and internal HDD as it was relocated to the D drive during installation.

After a technician paid a visit for an another problem, I started the system and got the 'Location not available' error.
After clicking on My Computer I could only see the C drive. The same error popped up again.

I checked the CPU and found the data cable on the hard disk was loose, so I fixed it.
I restarted the system and the error still pops up. I have even lost the display settings.

I searched for a solution.
I think I have to create a Desktop folder under C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop. Go to Properties>Location and provide the path of the Desktop under D drive?
I need some confirmation else please advise on the solution.

Thanks in advance and Best Regards,

Solution
Thanks USAFRet and Mandark for your concern.

Yes, all the physical drives are accessible and the data is absolutely safe.
USAFRet, the procedure uses Use Audit Mode to create user accounts on another partition or disk.
If allowed here I would post the link of the PDF guide available online, but I'm not sure.
It is the first thing that comes up in a Google Search for ' Relocate User folders during Windows 7 installation.'

In that PDF (from sevenforums.com?):
"an XML-script that modifies the Windows registry and settings as we want to, relocating both Users and ProgramData folders to D: drive "

arrgggg....

And now things are borked up, and you can't access the data as one would normally expect.

I do not know how to undo...

mental2013

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2013
Right, but I though it is best to safeguard data in case of OS issues. I had used a guide called Relocate User folders during Windows 7 installation.

The CPU shuts down randomly and starts after several attempts. So tried a new power supply, but didn't work.
Called a techie to check, then he tried some new data cables etc.

The D drive and folders are intact.

USAFRet

Titan
Right, but I though it is best to safeguard data in case of OS issues. I had used a guide called Relocate User folders during Windows 7 installation.

The CPU shuts down randomly and starts after several attempts. So tried a new power supply, but didn't work.
Called a techie to check, then he tried some new data cables etc.

The D drive and folders are intact.
You can relocate the Libraries.

Not the whole /Users/ folder.

Still not a good idea or solution to safeguarding data.

D

Deleted member 14196

So how safe is your data now that you can’t get to it? Your approach is horrible for data retention purposes and you should never move the users folder

mental2013

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2013

USAFRet, the procedure uses Use Audit Mode to create user accounts on another partition or disk.
If allowed here I would post the link of the PDF guide available online, but I'm not sure.
It is the first thing that comes up in a Google Search for ' Relocate User folders during Windows 7 installation.'

USAFRet

Titan

"an XML-script that modifies the Windows registry and settings as we want to, relocating both Users and ProgramData folders to D: drive "

arrgggg....

And now things are borked up, and you can't access the data as one would normally expect.

I do not know how to undo that.

Relocation like that is NOT a safe method for protecting your user files.
Indeed, it is worse than leaving things as they were in a normal install. As we see here.

Solution

mental2013

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2013

arrgggg....

I do not know how to undo that.

Relocation like that is NOT a safe method for protecting your user files.
Indeed, it is worse than leaving things as they were in a normal install. As we see here.
Yes, that's the PDF on Sevenforums.

USAFRet, I get it that Relocation is not a safe method. Even now I am taking a backup of the Users Folder in D Drive as all files are intact.

I understand it is quite a complex issue now.
Thanks a ton for your advise. :)

TRENDING THREADS