[SOLVED] Locked out of C drive

Velocilobster

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
I just tried to give the authenticated users full control over the C drive, but now I'm completely locked out. Windows will still boot but I cannot access anything; windows says it has no rights to open even basic things like device manager, and clicking properties on the drive again gives me a window telling me I have no rights to even view anything, and it crashes when I try any of the options of viewing it as administrator, giving an error message "Can't open access control editor. Access is denied". The local administrator account isn't enabled and I can't get to it because again, windows apparently has no rights to access its own programs.

I tried activating the administrator user via the command [net user administrator /active:yes], but again I get an error "system error 5 has occurred. Access is denied".

It appears the documents and related folders are accessible via shortcuts, but most windows related things, and the drive itself, are locked off.

What do I do?

Last edited:
Solution
That didn't work, but I managed to fix it just a minute ago by booting windows on a different drive, and setting the ownership to that user. Then, I was finally able to reset windows via the media creation tool, which previously was also unable to access anything on the drive. Just gotta reinstall everything now

Velocilobster

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
That didn't work, but I managed to fix it just a minute ago by booting windows on a different drive, and setting the ownership to that user. Then, I was finally able to reset windows via the media creation tool, which previously was also unable to access anything on the drive. Just gotta reinstall everything now

Solution