Locked out of PC. Keyboard inputting random characters/shift stuck on

taehlsvd

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
While just browsing chrome, my PC started opening random tabs and typing as if the shift key was held down. After restarting, I found out that I can't type anything on the bottom row, the ease of access menu doesn't open, and I'm stuck locked out of my PC. Like I said it just happened out of nowhere. I already tested with another keyboard, and it only works after a restart.

i5-4690k
ASUS z97-a
16gb g.skill RAM
256gb Samsung ssd
2tb WD hard drive
CM Storm quickfire TK keyboard

Solution
bottom row of keyboard? Does keyboard have its own software or does it use windows drivers? Tried using a different USB slot?

It sounds like you could have a virus

Does the power menu open on the login screen?
if so, hold left shift and click restart button

this should load you into Advanced startup

lets see if keyboard works here
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type in here - I would suggest typing notepad and press enter. This will open notepad, probably safer to experiment in here.

If that works, exit out of notepad and type exit in command prompt
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and...

Colif

Win 11 Master
bottom row of keyboard? Does keyboard have its own software or does it use windows drivers? Tried using a different USB slot?

It sounds like you could have a virus

Does the power menu open on the login screen?
if so, hold left shift and click restart button

this should load you into Advanced startup

lets see if keyboard works here
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type in here - I would suggest typing notepad and press enter. This will open notepad, probably safer to experiment in here.

If that works, exit out of notepad and type exit in command prompt
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

If the problem is software it shouldn't happen in safe mode.

Since you need password to log into safe mode, if you can get in its proof enough you are owner of PC - we can't help you bust into PC without a password. You should perhaps backup anything you can't afford to lose. You will need to scan these for infections before reinstalling them.

If you can get into safe mode, try uninstalling any Corsair software that related to the Keyboard.

not related: only difference between your PC and mine is the ram maker and model of Asus Z97 motherboard.

Solution