Question Locking or blocking programs from running?

Jul 25, 2019
Hi - basically I had spyware on my PC that, I believe, was (in the background) running files to make it work. We spotted this because some new AV software sandboxed a script that was starting with Chrome (using cmd.exe).

Anyway, to be safer in future, does anyone know a way of blocking / locking programs such as cmd.exe running in Windows 10?

Thank you.

Jul 25, 2019
Hi - basically I had spyware on my PC that, I believe, was (in the background) running files to make it work. We spotted this because some new AV software sandboxed a script that was starting with Chrome (using cmd.exe).

Anyway, to be safer in future, does anyone know a way of blocking / locking programs such as cmd.exe running in Windows 10?

Thank you.

Also, are there other things you would block access to?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
You don't cripple an OS by disabling commonly used services, or even occasionally used services, because malware (regardless of specific type) exploits them just like myriad legitimate programs do.

USAFRet is correct. The approach is to develop safe interaction habits with cyberspace so as not to become infected in the first place. Virtually all infections, with the rarest of exceptions, are caused by direct user action.

Colif

Win 11 Master
blocking cmd.exe would render most of windows unusable as many programs use hidden cmd windows to do basic functions. File explorer for instance. Probably most programs as well. Anything that talks to system.

So the way forward isn't to make windows unusable to yourself. Its toi block the attackers from getting on.

Try something like https://www.bitdefender.com.au/solutions/free.html or put Ublock Origin on all your browsers, it will block many of the webites that host malware.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Quietman7, a security expert who is an active contributor on Bleeping Computer, has written extensively on what you (any you) need to do to develop safe interaction habits with cyberspace. The following four are, in my opinion, must-reads:
I don't come close to following each and every one of the "best practices," but I do follow a very great many of them. If most folks followed even half of them the traffic on virus & malware removal forums would drop precipitously.

The best protection you have against infections is your own behavior if you follow those best practices to the best of your ability.