Lockout Policy

Hello

If I were to set a policy on a local machine that locked a user
out after 2 unsuccessful logon attempts, then set a policy at the
domain level to lock out the same user account after 3 invalid attempts
would this user now have 5 invalid attempts before being locked out?
(if they were trying to log onto the domain with their domain accout)

Thanks

No, the domain policy will overide the local policy, so you users wil be
locked out after 3 attempts at any machine.
Hope this helps,
Robert

Roberto Ruiz
Brainbench MVP for WinNT Workstation
http://www.brainbench.com

"Rob G" <spambam@nothankuman.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> If I were to set a policy on a local machine that locked a user
> out after 2 unsuccessful logon attempts, then set a policy at the
> domain level to lock out the same user account after 3 invalid attempts
> would this user now have 5 invalid attempts before being locked out?
> (if they were trying to log onto the domain with their domain accout)
>
> Thanks

No, the domain policys always overwrite local policies
(assuming they are propagating properly, which is a
different problem). Local polices are applied first, then
Site, then domain, then OU.

In your case the user would have 3 chances to log in and
then be locked out.

use GPRESULT in 2003 or XP to see what happens on a
specific machine+login