Status
Not open for further replies.

legend2579

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Specs:

Time of this report: 1/5/2013, 20:06:41
Machine name: CURTIS-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.120503-2030)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M620 (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3836MB RAM
Page File: 1990MB used, 5679MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: None
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

I'm on a Windows 7 dv7-3165dx notebook, I've been having this problem for probably a year now where my computer just completely freezes after a couple of minutes of gaming. I've figured out that the problem lies within a setting in power options. If my Power Processor Management is over 40%, I'll freeze, I figured out 40% was the highest I can go after countless tests of changing the percentage and idling in game for a few minutes, the only downfall to this is that it cut my frame rate by over half, which makes me have to play on lowest settings at 60-70 FPS, but I used to be able to get 150+ FPS. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems and knows how to fix the freezing, I don't really like having to have to limit my laptop's capailities just so it won't freeze. Any help would be appreciated. :p

nCoherent1

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

I have the identical laptop. Same hardware, Same OS win7 64bit

I bought it used last summer used and starting about 3 months ago it started to freeze up only when gaming.

Game(s) Played that have locked the computer most often:
Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty (sometimes the coretemp log says it locked up at 55C)
Dragon Age: Origins (almost always gets the cpu to 70C+; i have the computer shut down at that point automatically)

After researched a ton of forums online I did the following things:

1) checked all my drivers and BIOS were current.
They were

2) did hardware start up tests.
They passed

3) ensured the exhaust vents was well ventilated and unobstructed, downloaded Core Temp and Heavyload programs for CPU/GPU stress testing and temperature monitoring.
Very informative

4) cleaned out my heatsink fan vents/fan (opened up laptop in 9 simple steps and removed/cleaned ALL DUST OFF), and RE-APPLIED Thermal Paste in very precise amounts and ensured amount was correct...then made sure the heatsink was seated correctly.

The thermal paste in there was overflowing and in excess, and very dry...the fan was covered in dust but vents were NOT clogged.

5) used a fan i had sitting around to sit the laptop on for cooling purposes.

Helps 90% of the time.

6) used msconfig to modify programs running by default to test the stress load of my cpu.

Minimal: idle temp 25C-35C / 100%cpu/gpu stress test (5min) 58C
Normal: idle temp 25C-35C / 100%cpu/gpu stress test (5min) 63C

7) removed battery while plugged in....actually lowers temp by a couple degrees.

8) after reading your post I added on the variable of modifying Power Processor Management %.

oh and just fyi i run all games on lowest visual settings

Prior to reapplication of thermal and using a fan to sit the laptop upon the computer was running at around 45-50C idle and shutting down around 61C almost on que!!!

Update: 4/14/13
running at 51C max while gaming
power processor management at 95%
game visuals on low
no fan

thank god i dont have to deal with HP Support!!

Status
Not open for further replies.