Lockups

Here's my setup:

Epox 8RDA+ w/ 7/29/04 BIOS
Athlon XP 3200+ running at 12.5 x 189Mhz (2366)
Thermeltake Silent Cooler
Zalman 400W PS
(3) Corsair CMX512-3200 (1.5 GB)
GF 6800 GT (eVga) stock cooler
WD 200 GB 7200rpm 8MB hard drive

Just put in the eVGA and get lockups in Doom3 after 3 minutes of start of
intro to game. Currently running at 400Mhz/1000Mhz on the 6800 (I believe
stock is 350/1000). Should I lower that down? 3dmark03 also locked up
after about 5 minutes.

What are the things I should try first to increase stability?

Thanks!

--
Michael Sovitzky
MCSE: W2K

fisher

On Thu, 26 May 2005 00:29:49 GMT, "Michael Sovitzky"
<msovitzky@c-gconsulting.com> wrote:

>Here's my setup:
>
>Epox 8RDA+ w/ 7/29/04 BIOS
>Athlon XP 3200+ running at 12.5 x 189Mhz (2366)
>Thermeltake Silent Cooler
>Zalman 400W PS
>(3) Corsair CMX512-3200 (1.5 GB)
>GF 6800 GT (eVga) stock cooler
>WD 200 GB 7200rpm 8MB hard drive
>
>Just put in the eVGA and get lockups in Doom3 after 3 minutes of start of
>intro to game. Currently running at 400Mhz/1000Mhz on the 6800 (I believe
>stock is 350/1000). Should I lower that down? 3dmark03 also locked up
>after about 5 minutes.
>
>What are the things I should try first to increase stability?
>
>Thanks!

I hope it's not your Power Supply because I have the same one and I
was thinking of upgrading to a 6800GT. It may be that PSU is
inadequate for that card during 3D games as when running 3D games more
power is drawn. Or it could be the vid card is overheating, it
wouldn't be the first time I've seen people having this isuue with
6800GT's and Ultra's. Maybe I'll stick with ATI as they seem to have
less driver issues right now too. I would try underclocking the card
to see if that stops the lockups, then I would try and borrow a
beefier PSU to weed out that as being the culprit.

"Michael Sovitzky" <msovitzky@c-gconsulting.com> wrote in message
> Here's my setup:
>
> Epox 8RDA+ w/ 7/29/04 BIOS
> Athlon XP 3200+ running at 12.5 x 189Mhz (2366)
> Thermeltake Silent Cooler
> Zalman 400W PS
> (3) Corsair CMX512-3200 (1.5 GB)
> GF 6800 GT (eVga) stock cooler
> WD 200 GB 7200rpm 8MB hard drive
>
> Just put in the eVGA and get lockups in Doom3 after 3 minutes of start of
> intro to game. Currently running at 400Mhz/1000Mhz on the 6800 (I believe
> stock is 350/1000). Should I lower that down? 3dmark03 also locked up
> after about 5 minutes.
>
> What are the things I should try first to increase stability?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Michael Sovitzky
> MCSE: W2K

What are your CPU, GPU and system temps?

"Fisher" <fisher@no_email.here> wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 May 2005 00:29:49 GMT, "Michael Sovitzky"
> <msovitzky@c-gconsulting.com> wrote:
>
> >Here's my setup:
> >
> >Epox 8RDA+ w/ 7/29/04 BIOS
> >Athlon XP 3200+ running at 12.5 x 189Mhz (2366)
> >Thermeltake Silent Cooler
> >Zalman 400W PS
> >(3) Corsair CMX512-3200 (1.5 GB)
> >GF 6800 GT (eVga) stock cooler
> >WD 200 GB 7200rpm 8MB hard drive
> >
> >Just put in the eVGA and get lockups in Doom3 after 3 minutes of start of
> >intro to game. Currently running at 400Mhz/1000Mhz on the 6800 (I
believe
> >stock is 350/1000). Should I lower that down? 3dmark03 also locked up
> >after about 5 minutes.
> >
> >What are the things I should try first to increase stability?
> >
> >Thanks!
>
> I hope it's not your Power Supply because I have the same one and I
> was thinking of upgrading to a 6800GT. It may be that PSU is
> inadequate for that card during 3D games as when running 3D games more
> power is drawn. Or it could be the vid card is overheating, it
> wouldn't be the first time I've seen people having this isuue with
> 6800GT's and Ultra's. Maybe I'll stick with ATI as they seem to have
> less driver issues right now too. I would try underclocking the card
> to see if that stops the lockups, then I would try and borrow a
> beefier PSU to weed out that as being the culprit.

Brfore you start overclocking you should check everything stable at
standard settings. You should then overclock a bit at a time and retest. If
you just wack it up 15% in one go, you are asking for trouble.
Mike.

fisher

On Thu, 26 May 2005 08:48:58 +0100, "Michael Hawes"
<michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Brfore you start overclocking you should check everything stable at
>standard settings. You should then overclock a bit at a time and retest. If
>you just wack it up 15% in one go, you are asking for trouble.
> Mike.

I said *underclock* the card, not overclock, so it is running cooler
to weed out overheating as an issue or his ram timings. Sometimes
cards come with ram that can't do the speed they are supposed to do
and they have to go back for a replacement, underclocking the card
will lower the ram timings and clock speed. You can underclock just
like you can overclock.

It sounds like your overclocked video card is overheating. Good way to fry
it. I'd return it to stock settings and save yourself the cost of a new
one.

--
DaveW

"Michael Sovitzky" <msovitzky@c-gconsulting.com> wrote in message
> Here's my setup:
>
> Epox 8RDA+ w/ 7/29/04 BIOS
> Athlon XP 3200+ running at 12.5 x 189Mhz (2366)
> Thermeltake Silent Cooler
> Zalman 400W PS
> (3) Corsair CMX512-3200 (1.5 GB)
> GF 6800 GT (eVga) stock cooler
> WD 200 GB 7200rpm 8MB hard drive
>
> Just put in the eVGA and get lockups in Doom3 after 3 minutes of start of
> intro to game. Currently running at 400Mhz/1000Mhz on the 6800 (I believe
> stock is 350/1000). Should I lower that down? 3dmark03 also locked up
> after about 5 minutes.
>
> What are the things I should try first to increase stability?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Michael Sovitzky
> MCSE: W2K

I set the GPU clock settings back to stock.

Right now...:

CPU - 45 C
System - 27 C
GPU - 53 C

Under load, CPU seems to approach 55 C, and the GPU approaches 60 C. Is
that too hot?

I will try at the stock settings on the GPU and see how things go.

Thanks for all your help!

Michael
"Gary C" <Clem_Kadiddlehopper@Crazy_Googinheimer.com> wrote in message

> "Michael Sovitzky" <msovitzky@c-gconsulting.com> wrote in message
>> Here's my setup:
>>
>> Epox 8RDA+ w/ 7/29/04 BIOS
>> Athlon XP 3200+ running at 12.5 x 189Mhz (2366)
>> Thermeltake Silent Cooler
>> Zalman 400W PS
>> (3) Corsair CMX512-3200 (1.5 GB)
>> GF 6800 GT (eVga) stock cooler
>> WD 200 GB 7200rpm 8MB hard drive
>>
>> Just put in the eVGA and get lockups in Doom3 after 3 minutes of start of
>> intro to game. Currently running at 400Mhz/1000Mhz on the 6800 (I
>> believe stock is 350/1000). Should I lower that down? 3dmark03 also
>> locked up after about 5 minutes.
>>
>> What are the things I should try first to increase stability?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Michael Sovitzky
>> MCSE: W2K
>>

> What are your CPU, GPU and system temps?

Well, it was the CPU. I went from a 188 FSB to 175. I then ran 3dmark03,
and got up to 7400 3dmarks being able to run the card at 415/1100 with no
problems in 3dmark03 and Doom3 running ultra quality @ 1280x1024.

Very sweet! Thanks for all your help!

Michael