[SOLVED] Logfile:\ recovery\ windowsre\winre.wim\system32\logfiles\srt\ srttrail.txt

Jul 12, 2020
Hello,
I encountered a problem with my computer, where the screen froze and then the system shut down and greeted me with an error code in the Logfile when I turned it back on. The Logfile was (Logfile: F:\ Recovery\ WindowsRE\ Winre.wim\ System32\ Logfiles\ Srt\SrtTrail.txt).
I have not tried a lot atm, since I don't have great knowledge in solving these issues, but I will attach a picture of the different volumes in diskpart if that is to any use.
I hope you lovely guys can help me solve this annoying issue.
View: https://imgur.com/2NIvXi2

Solution
(Logfile: F:\ Recovery\ WindowsRE\ Winre.wim\ System32\ Logfiles\ Srt\SrtTrail.txt).
Almost every time I see this logfile as a reference in a problem, the only good answer that works is a clean install.

Do you have 2 drives in the PC? list vol just shows the partitions but doesn't show their actual physical locations.
E looks like the size of a 1tb hdd, D looks like a 120gb ssd.

Did the hdd ever have windows on it?

C is not going to be 50mb, its clearly looking at the recovery partition.
D shouldn't be in RAW state, that isn't a good sign. If it was actually where windows was, its not going to be there now.
you don't appear to have a boot or system partition

this is mine:
Y7p7qcA.jpg

Might want...

Colif

Win 11 Master
(Logfile: F:\ Recovery\ WindowsRE\ Winre.wim\ System32\ Logfiles\ Srt\SrtTrail.txt).
Almost every time I see this logfile as a reference in a problem, the only good answer that works is a clean install.

Do you have 2 drives in the PC? list vol just shows the partitions but doesn't show their actual physical locations.
E looks like the size of a 1tb hdd, D looks like a 120gb ssd.

Did the hdd ever have windows on it?

C is not going to be 50mb, its clearly looking at the recovery partition.
D shouldn't be in RAW state, that isn't a good sign. If it was actually where windows was, its not going to be there now.
you don't appear to have a boot or system partition

this is mine:
Y7p7qcA.jpg

Might want to check health of the drives before installing, if the 120gb ssd was where windows was.
If it was, the step below about saving info won't work. RAW means ssd is blank, nothing on it at all.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

How to save info off old install:
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

once you copied everything you can off of C drive, turn off PC. Unplug it and then unplug the hdd power cable so when you install win 10 again, only 1 drive is attached.

boot from installer & follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Once win 10 is installed and works off of C drive, turn it off, unplug it and reattach the hdd again.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 12, 2020
How to save info off old install:
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

once you copied everything you can off of C drive, turn off PC. Unplug it and then unplug the hdd power cable so when you install win 10 again, only 1 drive is attached.

boot from installer & follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Once win 10 is installed and works off of C drive, turn it off, unplug it and reattach the hdd again.

Hello, thank you for your response.
I disconnected my HHD and tried to install windows on my SSD, but when I get the window that presents me with the drives that I can download windows on - it says that windows can´t be installed on the SSD - it's in danish but I have tried to translate it as well as possible: "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT disks." But I managed to get it to work - and now the system works fine again - thank you so much.

Colif

Win 11 Master
answer to the error - delete all the partitions on the ssd and click next

The people who wrote that error need a kick. its not clear. It should just say what I did.

also helps to only have ssd attached when you install, it appears your boot partition might be on hdd now. Only having ssd in will stop that.