logging on problem with XP Pro

Jan

When my song logs on he enters his password and his
desktop comes up and then automatically logs off. Any
suggestions?

"Jan" <cairnes@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> When my song logs on he enters his password and his
> desktop comes up and then automatically logs off. Any
> suggestions?

Can you log on with other accounts on that computer? If so, then there's
something in his profile that's corrupt, or something that he's got set to
load at startup that isn't working right.

Can he start in Safe Mode? If so, he can start disabling startup items until
he figures out which one is causing the problem. Checking the event log
would also be helpful.

If none of the users can log in, and none can start in Safe Mode, have you
tried Last Known Good from the same menu that gives you safe mode?

in Safe Mode - it does the same thing. He has run the Last
Know Good from the same menu and it did not correct the
problem. Thank you for the reply and please pass along any
other thoughts you have.

> [...]

Does it start to log on, then go directly to "saving settings"?

> [...]

Okay, you've removed and/or disabled some spyware, but the line that starts
the spyware is still there.

You need to boot into the recovery console with the XP CD. Choose "R" for
repair when it asks.

type this at the C prompt:

copy C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe C:\windows\system32\wsaupdater.exe

then restart the system. You should be able to log on.

Then you need to edit the line in the registry that's looking for the
spyware.

Go to Start, Run, and type regedit.

Go to :

Look for Userinit

it's supposed to read:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe

So whatever else is there, fix it.

then make sure that you run whatever spyware removers and antivirus programs
that you have.

Good luck.

Hi Jan,

Run a spyware cleaner lately? The userinit value may have been corrupted by
the removal of blazefind. It adds wsaupdater.exe to the logon value in the
system registry, sometimes appending it, sometimes replacing it. Running
Adaware or other cleaners detects and removes wsaupdater.exe, but doesn't
correct the registry damage. If this is the case, then you may need to load
the registry hive from another installation and change it. This is the key:

Userinit string value should be:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

On the damaged installations it's one of these:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,

Another "quickie" method of resolution is to load the Recovery Console (see
below), copy userinit.exe as wsaupdater.exe from the command prompt, then
restart normally. Once in, go and change the registry value back to what
it's supposed to be and delete the copied file. To do this, use these
commands:

C:\Windows>
C:\Windows>copy C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wsaupdater.exe

Then you can exit once completed.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

This can also be done by using the 6 disk boot floppy set mentioned in the
above article, as it loads enough of the Recovery Console so that you can
copy the file. This is particularly useful if you have an OEM installation
that includes only a Restore CD, or no disk at all.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone