logging serial port transmissions

jeff

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Does Windows XP have a feature that logs serial port transmissions to & from
any connected device, not just modems? Do I need a special program to do
this? I have a Radio Shack PRO-95 frequency scanner that can have its 1000
channels loaded from a serial port, but Radio Shack won't give me the specs
for reading and writing data to the scanner. There is a program that will
do this but it doesn't have all the features I want, so I want to write my
own but I need to know the protocols for downloading and uploading channels
to the scanner. I figure if I can log the data transmissions from this
program, I might be able to figure out the protocol so I can write my own
utility. Thanks...

"Jeff" <eatmy@grits.com> wrote in

> Does Windows XP have a feature that logs serial port transmissions to
> & from any connected device, not just modems? Do I need a special
> program to do this? I have a Radio Shack PRO-95 frequency scanner
> that can have its 1000 channels loaded from a serial port, but Radio
> Shack won't give me the specs for reading and writing data to the
> scanner. There is a program that will do this but it doesn't have all
> the features I want, so I want to write my own but I need to know the
> protocols for downloading and uploading channels to the scanner. I
> figure if I can log the data transmissions from this program, I might
> be able to figure out the protocol so I can write my own utility.
> Thanks...
>
> Jeff

jeff,

here's a pretty good option. http://www.hhdsoftware.com/sermon.html .
there's a demo period, which may be enough time to do what you want to do.

tip- start the logger first, then use whatever other program that uses the
comm port.

DanS

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

> Does Windows XP have a feature that logs serial port transmissions to
> & from any connected device, not just modems? Do I need a special
> program to do this? I have a Radio Shack PRO-95 frequency scanner
> that can have its 1000 channels loaded from a serial port, but Radio
> Shack won't give me the specs for reading and writing data to the
> scanner. There is a program that will do this but it doesn't have
> all the features I want, so I want to write my own but I need to know
> the protocols for downloading and uploading channels to the scanner.
> I figure if I can log the data transmissions from this program, I
> might be able to figure out the protocol so I can write my own
> utility. Thanks...

"portmon" from SysInternals (www.sysinternals.com) lets you capture from
serial ports, parallel ports and log all the resulting data to a file. Logs
record all serial IOCTLs so can be voluminous. Very useful though.

Andrew

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded (More info?)

"DanS" <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t> wrote in message
> here's a pretty good option. http://www.hhdsoftware.com/sermon.html .
> there's a demo period, which may be enough time to do what you want to do.
>
> tip- start the logger first, then use whatever other program that uses the
> comm port.

I have used HHD Software's USB logger, and it's *fantastic*: It was
fantastic enough that I bought the Serial logger sight unseen.

Very good investment...

Steve
--
Steve Friedl -- Tustin, California USA -- www.unixwiz.net
Unix Wizard -- Microsoft MVP/Security -- I speak for me only