Karel

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005

WinXP SP2, latest patches

Presently I am getting a single beep, sometimes at a regular interval of 10
minutes, other times infrequently after an hour or so. They do not seem to
be directly related to any particular activity or software. The only
substantial change to the system was a replacement by the IP of my COM21
cable modem for Motorola SB5100. I also made some minor changes to my
software.

Is there a way of logging these beeps so I can figure out where they are
coming from or what they are caused by?

Thank you.

Karel

PS I know about the BIOS codes, I will be cleaning the machine later today
to rule out overheating.

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Check your sound settings in

Control Panel > Sounds & Audio Settings > Sounds (tab)

Scroll down the list of enabled sounds and see if there is one that sounds
like your beep

Jon

"Karel" <Hackel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> WinXP SP2, latest patches
>
> Presently I am getting a single beep, sometimes at a regular interval of
> 10 minutes, other times infrequently after an hour or so. They do not seem
> to be directly related to any particular activity or software. The only
> substantial change to the system was a replacement by the IP of my COM21
> cable modem for Motorola SB5100. I also made some minor changes to my
> software.
>
> Is there a way of logging these beeps so I can figure out where they are
> coming from or what they are caused by?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Karel
>
> PS I know about the BIOS codes, I will be cleaning the machine later today
> to rule out overheating.

Karel

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005

It's like the toothache going away when visiting the dentist.
It has not beeped for 3 hours now, but the Default Beep comes close, I
think.
Thanks
Karel

"Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
> Check your sound settings in
>
> Control Panel > Sounds & Audio Settings > Sounds (tab)
>
> Scroll down the list of enabled sounds and see if there is one that sounds
> like your beep
>
> Jon
>

> "Karel" <Hackel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> WinXP SP2, latest patches
>>
>> Presently I am getting a single beep, sometimes at a regular interval of
>> 10 minutes, other times infrequently after an hour or so. They do not
>> seem to be directly related to any particular activity or software. The
>> only substantial change to the system was a replacement by the IP of my
>> COM21 cable modem for Motorola SB5100. I also made some minor changes to
>> my software.
>>
>> Is there a way of logging these beeps so I can figure out where they are
>> coming from or what they are caused by?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Karel
>>
>> PS I know about the BIOS codes, I will be cleaning the machine later
>> today to rule out overheating.

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

While you are troubleshooting the potential causes, you might want to try
setting that "Default Beep" sound to "(none)", and see if that solves the
immediate problem of the recurrent beep, at least.

> It's like the toothache going away when visiting the dentist.
> It has not beeped for 3 hours now, but the Default Beep comes close, I
> think.
> Thanks
> Karel
>
> "Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
>> Check your sound settings in
>>
>> Control Panel > Sounds & Audio Settings > Sounds (tab)
>>
>> Scroll down the list of enabled sounds and see if there is one that
>> sounds like your beep
>>
>> Jon
>>

>> "Karel" <Hackel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> WinXP SP2, latest patches
>>>
>>> Presently I am getting a single beep, sometimes at a regular interval of
>>> 10 minutes, other times infrequently after an hour or so. They do not
>>> seem to be directly related to any particular activity or software. The
>>> only substantial change to the system was a replacement by the IP of my
>>> COM21 cable modem for Motorola SB5100. I also made some minor changes to
>>> my software.
>>>
>>> Is there a way of logging these beeps so I can figure out where they are
>>> coming from or what they are caused by?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Karel
>>>
>>> PS I know about the BIOS codes, I will be cleaning the machine later
>>> today to rule out overheating.

Karel

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Jon for your interest and hints.
The sound is a plain tone "middle" A on the piano and does not conform to
any of the sounds in the Control Panel, Default is slightly different. Seems
that it is therefore coming from BIOS. Couple of hours ago I blew all the
dirt out of the machine, cleaned the fans.
I still have not figured out how to log these events.

> While you are troubleshooting the potential causes, you might want to try
> setting that "Default Beep" sound to "(none)", and see if that solves the
> immediate problem of the recurrent beep, at least.
>
> Jon
>

> "Karel" <Hackel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> It's like the toothache going away when visiting the dentist.
>> It has not beeped for 3 hours now, but the Default Beep comes close, I
>> think.
>> Thanks
>> Karel
>>
>> "Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
>>> Check your sound settings in
>>>
>>> Control Panel > Sounds & Audio Settings > Sounds (tab)
>>>
>>> Scroll down the list of enabled sounds and see if there is one that
>>> sounds like your beep
>>>
>>> Jon
>>>

>>> "Karel" <Hackel@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I think I have tracked by 'bleep' down to email being received. I look at it
later but never thought about when it was coming in.

"Karel" wrote:

> WinXP SP2, latest patches
>
> Presently I am getting a single beep, sometimes at a regular interval of 10
> minutes, other times infrequently after an hour or so. They do not seem to
> be directly related to any particular activity or software. The only
> substantial change to the system was a replacement by the IP of my COM21
> cable modem for Motorola SB5100. I also made some minor changes to my
> software.
>
> Is there a way of logging these beeps so I can figure out where they are
> coming from or what they are caused by?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Karel
>
> PS I know about the BIOS codes, I will be cleaning the machine later today
> to rule out overheating.

Karel

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005

Thank you, that's a different sound.
Karel

"Ben in Montana" <BeninMontana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I think I have tracked by 'bleep' down to email being received. I look at
>it
> later but never thought about when it was coming in.
>

> "Karel" wrote:
>
>> WinXP SP2, latest patches
>>
>> Presently I am getting a single beep, sometimes at a regular interval of
>> 10
>> minutes, other times infrequently after an hour or so. They do not seem
>> be directly related to any particular activity or software. The only
>> substantial change to the system was a replacement by the IP of my COM21
>> cable modem for Motorola SB5100. I also made some minor changes to my
>> software.
>>
>> Is there a way of logging these beeps so I can figure out where they are
>> coming from or what they are caused by?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Karel
>>
>> PS I know about the BIOS codes, I will be cleaning the machine later
>> today
>> to rule out overheating.

TRENDING THREADS