[SOLVED] Logic in choosing HDMI/DP version

PiffPuff

Commendable
Jan 8, 2021
Hi folks,

As far as I know HDMI & DP are ranked from their tech spec perspective as follows (from best to worst so to say):

DP 2.0 -> HDMI 2.1 -> DP 1.4 -> HDMI 2.0

Each standard (and its version) supports certain resolutions at certain refresh rates. When choosing the monitor (and its ports version) makes sense to consider the resolution and FPS you're going to push to it. So if I'm going to play 1440 @ 75 (or less) FPS it makes no sense to overpay for HDMI v2.0-2.0b, as it supports 1440 @ 75Hz - same as HDMI 1.3-1.4b does (which is probably cheaper). However, if I'm gonna play 4K makes sense to go for HDMI v2.0-2.0b, because it supports 4K @ 60Hz, while HDMI 1.3-1.4b supports 4K only @ 30Hz. Assuming my hardware can push 4K @ 60 FPS of course.

Is this logic correct?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi folks,

As far as I know HDMI & DP are ranked from their tech spec perspective as follows (from best to worst so to say):

DP 2.0 -> HDMI 2.1 -> DP 1.4 -> HDMI 2.0

Each standard (and its version) supports certain resolutions at certain refresh rates. When choosing the monitor (and its ports version) makes sense to consider the resolution and FPS you're going to push to it. So if I'm going to play 1440 @ 75 (or less) FPS it makes no sense to overpay for HDMI v2.0-2.0b, as it supports 1440 @ 75Hz - same as HDMI 1.3-1.4b does (which is probably cheaper). However, if I'm gonna play 4K makes sense to go for HDMI v2.0-2.0b, because it supports 4K @ 60Hz, while HDMI 1.3-1.4b supports 4K only @ 30Hz. Assuming my hardware can push 4K @ 60 FPS of course.

Is this logic correct?
Older standards could be more expensive because they are not produced. You might find a current spec device cheaper than an older one because of sales.

PiffPuff

Commendable
Jan 8, 2021
Older standards could be more expensive because they are not produced. You might find a current spec device cheaper than an older one because of sales.
Well, true as well. In fact taken that monitor is a long-term investment makes sense to tend to the higher interface version, but I anyway wanted to know the principle itself.
Thank you guys!