Logic Supply First to Offer Core i5-based 'Rend Lake' Intel NUC Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
wrong design , the 2.5 drive bay should be below the motherboard area not beside it.

you made it take alot surface area this way to save just 3cm hight.

I am intrigued by the NUC design. In 2-3 years when it comes time to replace my wife's tower I think I will do something with this type of form factor for her replacement. Get a good high end monitor, mount the PC to the VESA mount on the back, and get rid of the big old box that is now mostly empty... along with the cable management behind said box.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

My wife would kill me if I replaced her box with this. She's running an i7 with Crossfire and still complains about framerates. :)

Of course, I can see the perfect application for this in my work environment. If it only had 2 more USB ports on the back (putting the internal header to work), it would be perfect.

mk3090

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

I would imagine that you need more surface area to cool this as a fanless solution. I bet if you put the 2x2.5" hdds underneath, you would have some thermal issues.

LogicSupply

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

sna,

mk3090 is exactly right. We made the chassis wider for expansion/cooling reasons. If we put the expansion below the motherboard, we wouldn't be able to cool the expansion items (hard drives, Li-ion UPS system, auto power supply, etc.); if we put it above the motherboard, we wouldn't be able to cool the board itself. At least not without an overly complicated cooling mechanism, which wouldn't jive with our goal to keep the price down. Anyway, the current design has the chassis height at 36.75 mm. Adding 3 cm to that would double the height!

But like mathew7 said, it would be more than 3 cm, anyway, because we wanted room to stack two hard drives.

Thanks for your thoughts, though! Keep 'em coming!

-Logic Supply

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

:) Thanks for the reply , and thanks for taking the time to examine the consumers demands and reaction . your work is professional.

In My opinion , surface area is very important when it comes to making things smaller. and the negative impact of double the surface Area is more than just doubling the high , because the Hight is 3cm doubled to 6 cm .. while the width of the SSD is around 7cm !!! so you doubled 7 cm :) (7 SSD + 7 Mobo )

2.5 drives are from 0.7 to 1.5 cm thick ... 2 of them would be 3 cm max hight if using server grade SAS 2.5 drives which is unlikely, most SSD/HDD are 0.7 , 0.9 and 1.2

anyways :)

The Cubic look also looks far more beautiful , AND all what you will have to do for the better cooling, is to increase the thickness of the heat absorbing body ...

will be more Expensive ? yes it is for sure . but more beautiful also . and need my advice ? make those 2x2.5 drive bay , hot swap from behind ! no need to open case to remove ! the Same if using battery ! hot swap !

and please please remove the front usb and put them on the side ? they look ugly at front . and lower that on/off button to the corner . it looks ugly in the middle.

and add that SDXC card slot please , full not micro ! and make it real SDXC , not on USB2 , but on BUS or on USB3 to take advantage of fast SD cards.

another thing here I would like to add , the intel ULV cpu has 16 lanes PCIe 2.0 , and the new haswell has 12 lanes. if you can make another product little bigger to take a PCIe 4x/8x riser card for expansion that would be unique ... and under the case too =) (this same case you made plus a 2cm below it for one expansion slot using riser card) , that would be very useful to add communication cards for stacking those for parallel low volt computing. or any other cards needed like more lans or 10G lan card.

have a nice day !

LogicSupply

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

sna,

You make several great suggestions. Thanks for your feedback! I've passed it on to our engineering team.

-Logic Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.