Logical upgrade progression from GTX 960 2gb?

Drew Prenevost

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
I'm planning an upgrade, I have ~350 to spend on a video card.

My system is average, Core i5-6500, 16gb ddr4 3000, ssd main, hdd backup, dual monitors, evga gtx 960 2gb.

Is it worth it to get a 1070 or is there a viable alternative in a 1060 6gb? I find myself playing more graphics aggressive titles lately and want to finally experience the 144hz my monitor can dish. Thank you.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I had a bit of a hard time with this (recent) upgrade for myself as well. Where the 960 performs pretty well for 1080 gaming, the 2gb of RAM was starting to be issue. After long consideration I opted to go with a GTX1080. The pricing on them has come down to a really affordable level and the "RTX" stuff is WAY underutilized from a gaming standpoint for now. I even considered some of the RX series cards, but just didn't feel the performance increase would be enough, plus the heat and need for large PSU for them.

Unless the pricing on the RTX cards gets WAY more attractive I can't suggest going that way based on many of the reviews I see. The frame rates just don't justify that. IMO, right now the "sweet spot" is at the 1080/ti level...I also understand a lot of others are feeling that way about the ti since many articles have come out talking about limited remaining stock. Looking around should net a 'standard' 1080 in the $400 range and is a worthy upgrade to that 960.

Drew Prenevost

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
Is there a downside to the "mini" models of 1070 and 1080? My money is via amazon gift cards and as i look at the prices the minis are almost always cheaper than the regular size cards. Is cooling an issue? Is there a performance hit? cuz the 1080 mini for 495 looks good.