Login problem - Desktop doesn't load, only light green background and mouse pointer is shown

tsomek

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
Hi,

I have trouble logging into my account.

After typing the password it never even loads the desktop, instead it gets stuck showing my mouse pointer and a light pale green background - please see screenshot attached.

DSC_1567.jpg

https://s27.postimg.org/e1zs3zr8j/DSC_1567.jpg

I entered Safe Mode and created a new user, and I can actually login into this one without any issues.

Can someone please help me out?

I am running Win7 Ultimate 64bit, and my Computer build is described in my signature.

Many Thanks!

tsomek

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
Hi,

not really, the only recent change is that my GoPro software updated itself..

Do you think I should try to uninstall it?

update: Uninstalled it just in case - problem remains.

tsomek

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
Just checked Revo Uninstaller, and it oddly says that Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable and Avast were installed yesterday..
Didn't do either, maybe they updated themselves..

Any Tips?

Avast needs the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable so you should check for any Avast errors or failure to run the Avast interface.

It may be okay because the Visual C++ installer preserves existing versions, so you may already have other versions of Visual C++ 2008 installed (Microsoft updated the 2008 release several times).

But check that Avast is actually working and that you can open it's user-interface, just to be sure.

tsomek

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
Hi all,

Yes, avast was still running, but on the second restart I have the same problem as before.

Now I've completely removed Avast, and the problem prevails...

Any Ideas??

Many Thanks

tsomek

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
Ok so after wasting another precious work day on this, I've decided to switch to the new user account. (Haven't deleted the problematic one for now)
I've reinstalled Avast from scratch, and everything seems to be working ok for now...

Will keep you in the loop in case anything comes up, but hopefully this will be it....

Anyways many thanks to your input up till now,

but do feel free to propose a solution in case anybody has an idea!

Cheers
tsomek

tsomek

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
Ok, this is nuts.
After reinstalling Avast, Skype and all things I had removed due to the problem, I'm now able to login normally in the original account again...
The only thing I can deduce from all of this is that most likely Avast broke something in my startup...

TRENDING THREADS