Login Screen won't let you type....

zlloyd1

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I have an old Dell Dimension desktop that has a problem I cannot understand, please advise....
When I boot up it goes to the Login page, asking for me to select a user account and enter a password. You select the account with mouse, so far so good, but then it opens a field to enter password, which will not let you type anything at all. It is like you don't even have a keyboard plugged in. :??:
Can someone please explain this to me, and clarify if there is a way to skip this part of the boot, and just go straight to Windows??
I do not want to have to crack the tower open to reset the BIOS if I can avoid it, and thanks in advance!!

Solution
Unfortunately rules prevent us from being able to help "hack" into the user account.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277636-28-read-first.
Is this the only account on the machine? Normally you want to have an admin account that is there,but not used regularly. So in the event a user profile gets corrupt, you could still access the computer, and recreate the account - or create a new one.

zlloyd1

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Yes, it was a problem with the keyboard, because when I switched to a different one, it worked right. However, it then seems to have caused the user account to become corrupt after shutting the computer down, and now I am trying to reset the machine t5o remove the need for a login password, but this is proving tedious as nothing seems to work.
I have opened it up, and removed the CMOS battery, and then replaced it, but that seems to have done nothing. So, now I am trying to figure a way to hack into the user account that is showing up at boot up now, but it is NOT easy to do!!

Unfortunately rules prevent us from being able to help "hack" into the user account.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277636-28-read-first.
Is this the only account on the machine? Normally you want to have an admin account that is there,but not used regularly. So in the event a user profile gets corrupt, you could still access the computer, and recreate the account - or create a new one.

Solution