Logitech Announces G29, G920 Racing Wheels For PS4 And Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Why couldn't they make just one wheel that is compatible with the Xbone, 360, PS3, PS4 and PCs? All that would be needed is both system controller chips in the unit. It would make much more sense to us consumers that have both Sony and Microsoft consoles. Heck, it shouldn't even be that hard to add Wii/WiiU support for that matter....

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Or in this case, none as a result as I will look for better options. :)

Because it is not that simple. There is a lot behind the design that they have to do such as redesign the PCB to support both and have a switch to change to the input types, PS3/PS4 use DInput while 360/XB1/PC use XInput. That would add to the costs of the device making them less appealing in the long run.

Then you have the matter of button symbols. Do they use the PlayStation design or XB/PC design?

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Not that hard on hardware since I have accessories that work on pc, 360, and ps3 at home. It might add a little to the cost, but compared to the asking price of the wheel, the increase isn't that much; especially compared to having to buy a second wheel. For users that have multiple consoles, it would actually be more appealing to them.

As for button symbols, the layout of the buttons are the same. The only issue would be knowing whether A is X or X is square. A person should be able to figure that out without too much trouble.

The biggest reason I think so many companies does this is because Sony and Microsoft tell them so.

Daniel Ladishew

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
For $399 (without the gearshift knob) I would expect this product to be compatible with PS4, X-box One, PS3, X-Box 360, PC, PS2, N64, Wii, Dreamcast, Wii U, and my Android phone! (iOS costs extra).

hitman40

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
For $399 (without the gearshift knob) I would expect this product to be compatible with PS4, X-box One, PS3, X-Box 360, PC, PS2, N64, Wii, Dreamcast, Wii U, and my Android phone! (iOS costs extra).

It's better than Thrustmaster's add on shifter which is $120 and doesn't even have a shifter boot. It's pathetic really, who the hell wants the shifter look of an automatic car.

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Is it just me or does this price just make me want to stick to buying a Fanatec instead. A real technical breakdown if it truly was made with quality parts would have to be seen. Since no one owns it hard to tell and at that price point who's to say its a bad product. With all the negative reviews on the thrustmaster racing wheel, the market for a perfect combination of steering, shifting with amazing pedals still a long ways off. At that point mind as well just go drive a real car, nothing beats that.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Yes, but when I drive my REAL car like I want to, it keeps getting impounded because although I could easily outrun the Fuzz, it's not worth it to try. Being the only person in my area with my kind of car makes it a little hard to "blend in"

My only gripe about this is, why October for the 920?? Seeing as the G29 will work on PC I might pick one up when it comes out, and then get the 920 in October.

"The pedals now have adjustable faces which the company said aids in improving heal-toe maneuvers."

Uhmmm...my G27 pedals can be unscrewed and spaced to the left or the right of their mounts for different pedal placement setups. I have my accelerator pedal to the far right and brake pedal to the far left close the clutch for exactly that heel-toe action. This is not new to the G29's pedals.

In any event, I have been extremely happy with my G27 owned since 2008 for both PC sim racing (GTR2, rFactor, now Project Cars) and PS3 console racing (Dirt 3, GT5/6). It has only failed on me once after thousands of hours, and it was an easy repair: one of the servo motors came loose from its mount...some Loctite on the threads and re-screwing solved the problem after hundreds more hours since that repair.

Most people say the new Thrustmaster T300/500 series belt-drive wheel is better than the jerky gear drive of the Logitech G wheels. Having never driven the new Logitechs I cannot compare, but I have had to turn down FFB in GT6 on the rally car racing due to way too much jerkiness. But I haven't had to do that for any other racing including the new Dirt Rally on PC. And I'm still weary about all the people reporting failures early on with their TM wheels...doesn't give me a high confidence rate on them right now.

Yeah but have you actually priced the Fanatec wheels and pedals? You have to buy everything separate. I'm not talking about their cheap $250 Porsche GT2 wheel and $80 CSR pedals that aren't compatible with everything, either. Before you know it you are looking at over $1,000US to get a completely compatible racing setup (fully compatible with all PC and PS4/XB1 racing). That's irrespective of having to get in line to even order one.

$500 - wheel base
$250 - wheel rim (BMW M3 GT2 US)
$300 - pedals (ClubSport Pedals V2 US)

Yeah because you can drive around in your car on the streets like on a road racing course in a BMW GT3 racer, right? Good luck with that.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Actually that price isn't bad considering you'd have to buy 2 different (not cheap either) logitech units to have the same compatiblity.

Well my Fry's today had a promo deal of the Thrustmaster T300RS for $309.99 and I jumped all over it so I could race PCars on the PS4 (yes that means two versions of PCars now for me so I can race with my PS4 peeps). Another $20 for an adapter to use my G27 pedals and I'm good to go for a nice belt-driven wheel setup for 1/3 cost of a Fanatec setup.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Which still brings in the initial issue of no 360/xbone support.

It works fine on my PC and PS4. Doesn't sound like a total Thrustmaster blame issue to me. If I had to guess, TM and Microsoft couldn't come to an agreement on how much financial assistance MS should give to TM for the product compatibility inclusion. Making these wheels compatible for all platforms isn't free because like the JimmySmitty guy said here, it's not so simple.

Sony has stated that the Logitech G27 wheel needed a chip to work with the PS4 for compatibility, but they would not offer funding to Logitech to subsidize the cost of a modification. So, my G27 now collects dust while I use its pedals with my T300.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

It is not a thrustmaster problem; except they probably should have added support for it. The discussion was about the cost of having to buy 2 different steering wheels to support all consoles/PC to where a Fanatec isn't that much more at that point.

SomeRandomGamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
Why couldn't they make just one wheel that is compatible with the Xbone, 360, PS3, PS4 and PCs? All that would be needed is both system controller chips in the unit. It would make much more sense to us consumers that have both Sony and Microsoft consoles. Heck, it shouldn't even be that hard to add Wii/WiiU support for that matter....
Its due to licencing with different company's and game developers. Thats why the PlayStation one has the X [] O /\ and the gran turismo + - and dial. And the xbox one has A X B Y.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

The conversion from Playstation marking to Microsoft button marking would be pretty easy to figure out for the common user. If was an issue, both symbols could even be put on each button. For game developers, it would be a benefit as there would only be one set of hardware to add support for.

I had read somewhere the main reason why they do two separate wheels is because of Sony and Microsoft themselves, who will not give licensing to a device if it work on their competition's hardware as well; up to and including revoking licensing of other products. Fanatec gets away doing it due to the use of modules.

There is still two sets of hardware to support. DS4 uses DInput, XB1 uses XInput. They would have to wire and code for both on the controller and game developers would also have to worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.