Question logitech C920 webcam "device app not installed"

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
web cam is brand new
web cam picks up sound and plays sound back (passes Zoom sound tests)
desktop is Windows 8.1
error message "device app not installed" in DEVICES listing

Thing I have done:
turned off every privacy restriction I could find
tried (and failed) to find any associated software (or drivers) on OEM's web site
bunch of reboots

If I go into the control panel (where there is a tightly packed dense directory tree of all devices) and click on the logitech it is listed as "properly installed and working"
If I go into DEVICES (on win 8, using the search flap on the right) it says "device app not installed"

Interestingly google search with
terms:

logitech c920 webcam "device app not installed"

with delimiters to force search on the entire message error, doesn't turn up much. The few things that did turn up didn't seem to help.

I've been at this a couple of hours if anyone knows potential solutions I would appreciate it. Alternatively I need to take this thing back to bestbuy and find something compatible with windows 8.1???

thanks
Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
you have to change operating system to win8 to see something there, win10 is empty
I've been using Win 8.1. I don't know if that counts. My google searches such as "logitech drivers download" did not take me there, and I must say compared to some other OEM web pages where drivers are available I find logitech's difficult. More to the point I don't understand why this camera is not plug and play. When I said "drew a blank" I meant I did not come up with anything that looked like it was for the C920. Well there was something for Win 11.

I did download and install from the link you posted, and rebooted, but I still can't use the camera. I'm going to do it all over again and report back.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well I have a logitech camera settings showing on the desktop but when I click on it, it says, "already running!" and won't open any controls (if any are there). I also see it in "settings" which when you click on it says "already running!" But when I go to device settings it says "device app not installed."

I've also run through the usual checks and am still stuck: the logitech shows as properly installed in the control panel, lacking the app in "devices," and I get sound but no visual in zoom.

I think the next step is to try my wife's webcam and see if it works. Perhaps we can swap.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well my wife's logitech 270 will show a visual image in the CAMERA function of windows but won't link up to zoom. My own logitech 920 shows as having a problem. I can try my other logitech 920 to eliminate a theoretical hardware problem. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to go to Win 10 to use a camera. What a pain.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I now took the C920 camera that was upstairs on Windows 8.1 and swapped it into the computer downstairs with Win 10.

It works fine on the downstairs computer. Therefore, there is some kind of software issue on Win 8.1 that I am unable to resolve so far.

Mr.Tibbs

Commendable
Oct 22, 2021
At first I could not get the USB connector to make that sound like the USB connection was going through for my c920 Logitech webcam. The H390 headset was the same. Device Manager did not see them installed.
Booting the computer up and then trying again. The H390 has on the USB
cord a button that should have a red lite. This is the volume for the mic.
Booting up over the whole day and then Windows Update had a few
updates for logitech later.
Did you try a USB 2 as well as a USB 3? All this was the same on different conputers and eventually the computer knows to accept the USB conection and put in the drivers.
Nice little gadget. Works better than a few other low priced WebCams that I bought also.