Question Logitech G5 randomly and spontaneously disconnects then immediately reconnects only on my PC

adsoyo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
This is very bizarre and I'm having tons of trouble figuring it out. I've been using this mouse for 13 years and in the last few weeks it started disconnecting and immediately reconnecting. The problem is worse while gaming, it will disconnect and reconnect much more frequently than if I'm on the desktop and/or web browsing. I thought it was just getting old and worn out but then I started troubleshooting. I used the mouse with my work computer for 2 days and it didn't disconnect once. In that time I used a cheap Microsoft optical mouse on the gaming PC and that one didn't disconnect once either.

I tried different USB ports including a 2.0, 3.2 gen 1, 3.2 gen 2, and the built in USB hub on my monitor. Didn't help.

Windows event viewer doesn't show any errors.

I installed USBDeview on both computers and they both show the same thing: 3 "USB Gaming Mouse" devices when the G5 is plugged in. Current draw is 98mA. Both computers are running fully updated Windows 10.

When the mouse disconnects, Windows makes its chime noise but none of the lights go off on the mouse.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Both computers have a mouse, keyboard, webcam, and printer plugged into USB slots. The gaming PC has in addition: the monitors USB hub plugged into the back of the motherboard, the front USB slots on the case plugged into the internal USB 3 connector and the CPU fan's RGB plugged into an internal USB 2 connector.

The gaming PC is a MSI Gaming Edge Wifi x570 motherboard with a Ryzen 3700x.

adsoyo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Well I think I nailed it down. If I pull on the cord coming out of the mouse it will cause the disconnect/ reconnect. It doesn't happen easily, I usually have to jostle it for a few seconds before something happens. That might explain why it happens so much more in games if I'm whipping the mouse around. I'll use it more tonight and probably get a new mouse tomorrow. Hopefully it lasts 13 years just like this one!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS