Logitech g700 Mouse Causing Hard Freeze

Aldragoran

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Hello I have just finished building a new computer and seem to be having a weird problem.

When I plug my Logitech g700 mouse into the charge cable my computer locks up completly. Cant move the mouse, ctrl+alt+delete doesn't work and requires a hard reset.

What is weird is that this doesn't happen everytime I plug the mouse in but randomly. Moreover when it does happen it causes my GPU fan to increase to what I can only assume is 90-100% speed (Normally its around 40%-50%).

At first I though it was a problem with my nvidia drivers since I have been getting some 'video hardware error' showing in the reliability report. Therefore I completely removed the drivers and software in safe mode and reinstalled them. No video hardware errors since reinstalling drivers but the mouse issue persists.

I used the mouse for a couple years on my old computer with no problems.

Some information about my new computer below:

CPU - Intel 4670k
Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth Z87
Ram - Corsair Vengence Pro 1866 MHZ 9-10-9-27 1.5v
Graphcis Card - MSI 460 Cyclone 1GB (From my old computer until I can afford a new GPU)
HDD - 250GB Samsung Evo SSd
500GB WD Black Drive
2TB Seagate Green Drive
PSU - Corsair AX760 Platinum rated
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case - NZXT Phantom 530
OS - Windows 8.1 64 bit

I have a dell monitor with a built in usb hub that currently the charge cable for the mouse is plugged into.

I hope I have given enough information and hope that someone could advise me on what the problem may be.

Regards

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Plug the charge cable into the PC, not the dell monitor hub. A USB port outputs 5v, and the mouse might be too large a load if the hub is scaling down the power, resulting in a crash. Is anything else plugged into the hub?
Try a different mouse as well...

Aldragoran

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009

I have my logitech g13 gamepad plugged into the monitor as well. However this was the exact setup I had with my old computer, so just trying to figure out why it would start happening now.

I can try another mouse but as the problem seems to only happen when I plug the mouse into charge I would not be able to recreate the situation with any of the mice I have at hand as they are all wired.

I will try plugging the charger into the computer directly for now and see if the problem persists.

Hope it isn't the mouse dying as C12Friedman thinks as I have only had it for about 2 years :p

Aldragoran

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009

Yes it uses Logitech Gaming Software for both the g13 game pad and g700 mouse. Did a quick check but I am on the up to date version.

Thinking about it now though it could be the software. Before I built this new computer the gamepad used the logitech gaming software but the mouse used another logitech software called setpoint. Only since the newest version has the mouse been rolled into the gaming software.

Mine caused BSOD's not related to USB, complete system freezing, symptoms as though a short, etc.. which is why troubleshooting took almost 3 months from problems first appearing. The mouse was about two years old (very heavily used). I disassembled the mouse and all solder joints are decent, the only thing I can figure is the IC went bad (I likely won't ever know for sure)...it still baffles me as to what was going on

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I've long had occasional freeze and disconnect issues that I suspect may be related to the logitech software. No clear trail to figure it out, just a suspicion.

Do you have Asus' usb speed charge thing installed? I've long wondered (and been to busy to really investigate) if there could be a conflict between one of the motherboard usb drivers and the logitech stuff. (I have the logitech G13, G500, G35 and the slim illuminated keyboard -- they are only just recently consolidating their software support into a single app -- for a long time the multiple apps were very frustrating)

Oh dear, if only I could explain how inaccurate that is. If you would like, PM me and I'll send you my old mouse, you can then watch your computer, freeze, crash, lose non-related hardware, etc... it'll be fun!

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I have the G700 with a G15 keyboard, and use Logitech Gaming Software 8.57.145. I have had the exact issue you are describing for years, and it never seems to improve with LGS updates. To be more specific, the freeze happens when I plug in the mouse after the battery has run completely dead. It appears Logitech Gaming software crashes so hard as to destroy all input devices. The G15 keyboard LCD just flickers, won't respond to keystrokes, or anything like that. If I plug in another keyboard or mouse nothing works. Otherwise, the computer seems to be running normally.

I have discovered a work-around, though! Once you realize the mouse battery is dead, flip the power switch on the bottom of the mouse to the off position, then plug the mouse in, and wait about 10 seconds (for the battery to charge a smidge) before you turn the mouse back on. Once the mouse is on, you can resume using it, but there is a fair chance that Logitech Gaming Software will have crashed — but not the nasty input-crippling crash that would happen otherwise - the mouse will just revert to one of its internal profiles, and the keyboard won't have any macros or LCD apps. If it crashes, just use task manager to kill it, then restart it manually from your program list.

The best solution, though, is to just be sure you plug in your mouse to charge before the battery fully runs dead. You may still get a driver crash once in a blue moon, but overall it's much better than having to do the 5½ step recovery process of the prior paragraph.