[SOLVED] Logitech keyboard software problems on new system

GunnerCO

Prominent
Mar 21, 2021
Experienced PC builder. Longtime user of Logi keyboard software (Gaming Software and G-Hub). Never had any significant problems including on newer Win10 laptop through KVM.

So I built a new main system (ASUS Z490-A, 10700K) and i absolutely cannot get any Logitech keyboard software to work. Fresh Win10 install, fully updated. Used to use a G11, now a G110 because I'm a macro key fiend.
  1. Logi Gaming Software v9.xx gave me the "not compatlble with your OS" message, as I'd seen on my old system.
  2. Installed v8.8x and it all worked fine... until I found that all the macros were lost on every reboot.
  3. Stripped all Logi software, installed G-Hub. It failed to recognize any devices (KB or mouse) no matter what I did. Uninstalled it.
  4. Installed Gaming Software v9.xx and it worked this time.
  5. All good, devices recognized, retains the three backlight color settings for the G110... but loses the macros on every reboot.
  6. Tried everything including plugging into other USB ports, bypassing the KVM, running LGS as admin (even though I have admin privs already)... nothing. Retains the color info but not the macros.
  7. Tried running LGS as admin and entering some macros that way. No go.
  8. Tried exporting the profile with the idea I could load it every time. LGS would not let me save in the default location (in program folder); does not seek profiles in the same place (looks in the Logitech folder under User) and in any case saving and reloading a profile does not preserve the macros.
I've read lots of pages, mostly older, on this. Tried every trick.

Does ANYONE have a solution, either a successful way to use G-Hub or a way to make LGS v9.xx save the macros? I've never had trouble with any of this on multiple systems across 10 years... i suspect it's Yet Another This-Week's Win10 Build Issue.

Solution
The problem is solved, although I am not quite certain of the how.

Uninstalled, reinstalled LGS 9.xx using "Run as Administrator." Still had oddities with being able to edit and save profiles, but I managed to create an alternate to Default and could save and reload (export/import) it. Somewhere in the process, LGS started retaining the information in between boots. There are still anomalies, but it's working and I'll move on.

I'd like to know why the newer tool G-Hub resolutely failed to find either the keyboard or mouse, despite port switching, reboots, etc. But that's another story.

Ralston18

Titan
Could well be Windows 10 related....

However, the objective is to eliminate possibilities.

Do other known working keyboards (with and without macros) work?

Does the Logitech keyboard work (with or without macros) on other known working computers?

Where did you purchase the Logitech keyboard? Could the keyboard be counterfeit?

Software is being downloaded directly and manually via Logitech'swebsdite - correct? No third party installers.

Does the keyboard appear in Device Manager? (Ensure, via the View tab, that "Show hidden devices" is checked.

In Windows 10 take a look at the configuration settings in Gaming and Ease of Access.

What games or apps to you play or use with lots of macros? Maybe a conflict somewhere....

GunnerCO

Prominent
Mar 21, 2021
Short form: it's either the mobo (10%) or Win10 (90%).

I've had the keyboard a while and it has worked fine (minor glitches aside) on several systems. It works fine now when I KVM over to my work laptop. It's "working" for certain values of working, in that it clearly does hook up to the driver/software (the backlighting changes, and I can switch between the three M settings and get my chosen three backlight colors).

It will record macros from the console or in the app.

It just won't hold those macros (they revert to the default F-key settings) on boot.

As nearly as I can tell, it's a Win10 Build 19042 thing, like SMB1 (which I had to manually enable to connect to an older NAS). Winders is not letting LGS write the XML profile records where it wants. (I can't create another profile, either.) Manually putting a profile from a working system where it seems to want to go doesn't work, either.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has either G-Hub or LGS 9.xx working on a new-new Win10 installation.

GunnerCO

Prominent
Mar 21, 2021

Uninstalled, reinstalled LGS 9.xx using "Run as Administrator." Still had oddities with being able to edit and save profiles, but I managed to create an alternate to Default and could save and reload (export/import) it. Somewhere in the process, LGS started retaining the information in between boots. There are still anomalies, but it's working and I'll move on.

I'd like to know why the newer tool G-Hub resolutely failed to find either the keyboard or mouse, despite port switching, reboots, etc. But that's another story.

Solution
Apr 21, 2021

Oh my god, a RECENT post about this problem! I've been hunting down this key-lockup issue for months trying to resolve it. Precisely which version of LGS did you install?

EDIT: Crap, I realized this was a problem with the LGS software not changing settings, not the "G110 keys lock up" issue that I (and many others) are experiencing.

GunnerCO

Prominent
Mar 21, 2021
Oh, well, I am using LSG 8.82 on my work laptop, and 9.02 on my own system. I KVM beween them with an Itek switch, which seems to have little to do with the problems.

No problems on my (new Win10) system, but I often lose the macro and feature support on my (cheap new Win10) laptop if it goes to sleep while I am toggled away.

Never had a keyboard lockup problem with either the G110 or my G11 or G15...

Apr 21, 2021
Oh, well, I am using LSG 8.82 on my work laptop, and 9.02 on my own system. I KVM beween them with an Itek switch, which seems to have little to do with the problems.

No problems on my (new Win10) system, but I often lose the macro and feature support on my (cheap new Win10) laptop if it goes to sleep while I am toggled away.

Never had a keyboard lockup problem with either the G110 or my G11 or G15...

Yeah, from my research it seems to be related to too many Direct Input calls or something. I assume its newer drivers that have the problem because I didn't have the issue on my ancient system before I built a new tower, and then as soon as I built an all new tower, BAM, locking up issue.