[SOLVED] Logitech M187 mouse very inaccurate, can't draw a straight line

Jan 13, 2021
I got my hands on a Logitech M187 mini mouse and I love it's tiny form factor. Unfortunately the sensor on this thing is dreadful. I immediately noticed how inaccurate it is, so I did a test. Here's a comparison between it and a super cheap Dell MS116. I've also tested it against other crappy mice and they all can draw a pretty straight line, while M187 drawing looks more like a wave (I pressed all mice against a book and then started drawing to make sure it's not my hand's fault).
I can't believe the sensor is that terrible (Logitech calls it Advanced Optical Tracking which is supposed to be better than their cheaper products). Is it broken or is it because this mouse is wireless? I replaced the batteries, but it didn't help.

Y3uW7Gt.png

Solution
I have two different 15 years old wired mice I bought for 5$ each and they still work fine to this day.

Yes, they do but as you can see, you can't follow the same price point with wireless mice. At least, when it comes to Logitech.

For a normal web browsing or casual gaming, the low-end Logitech wireless mice do the job just fine. Also, those smaller mice are usually used with laptops, since it's easier to travel with smaller mouse than bringing a full-sized mouse with you. Even we have such small-from-factor mice in use with our laptops. (Just checked, and i have SpeedLink Minnit, while my missus has Verbatim Go Mini with her laptop. Both are wired.) However, for professional use (drawing) i'd use proper hardware.

It's like...
Jan 13, 2021
This is the best bet since wi-fi isn't solid connection (e.g like cable connection is). Instead, it is sporadic connection.
It's my first wireless mouse, so I didn't know what to expect, but all these cheap wireless Logitech mice have very good reviews. I don't think that would be the case if all of them worked like that - mine is really hard to operate, every move has to be corrected.
I even placed the mouse 20 cm from the dongle, but it doesn't change anything. I also cleaned the sensor.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
mine is really hard to operate, every move has to be corrected.

It could be the sensor as well.

For example, i had PS/2 mouse but since i do image editing, including painting (as my hobby), i needed a mouse with much better ergonomic grip. So, i upgraded my PS/2 mouse to wired USB mouse: Gigabyte MX-6880X.
But for the love of me, i could not draw a straight line with that mouse. Despite it claiming:"High accuracy laser engine offers consistent and reliable performance for absolute control and precise mouse movement. Equipped improved laser sensor, M6880X allows you to hit the target precisely." Sure, it was very comfortable to hold it and work with but the terrible sensor was pain.
So, i bought a new mouse. This time, i went with Corsair Sabre RGB. And the optical sensor with 10.000 DPI resolution is A LOT better than the laser sensor Gigabyte mouse had. All my lines are very precise and i love working with it.

For comparison, your Logitech mouse sensor has 1000 DPI resolution while my Corsair mouse sensor has 10.000 DPI resolution (it's 10 times more precise).

Jan 13, 2021
Ok, I picked up a different Logitech mouse - M317 - and it works exactly the same, on every surface, on two different PCs. How come these mice have mostly 5 star ratings when they're useless? I don't understand it.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
How come these mice have mostly 5 star ratings when they're useless?

It depends on from where you read those reviews.

E.g, here's one such "5 star" review of M317,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HBPbVSw6A8

Also, if you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys.
M317 costs 20 bucks. That's cheap. M187 is even cheaper at 13 bucks. That's way too cheap for wireless mouse. So, to justify the cheap price, some (if not all) must be cut from the product.

The mouse i use, costed me €51 ($61 USD) and i'd be looking more for wireless mouse, given that if i want a proper mouse. (E.g Corsair Harpoon wireless, at €68.30/ $82.50 USD.)

Jan 13, 2021
It depends on from where you read those reviews.

E.g, here's one such "5 star" review of M317,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HBPbVSw6A8

Also, if you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys.
M317 costs 20 bucks. That's cheap. M187 is even cheaper at 13 bucks. That's way too cheap for wireless mouse. So, to justify the cheap price, some (if not all) must be cut from the product.

The mouse i use, costed me €51 ($61 USD) and i'd be looking more for wireless mouse, given that if i want a proper mouse. (E.g Corsair Harpoon wireless, at €68.30/ $82.50 USD.)
I have two different 15 years old wired mice I bought for 5$ each and they still work fine to this day. I used to play CS with them and I was doing great.
M317 is listed at 30$ on Logitech website, it should at least work properly. Especially with that many stellar reviews I would expect that.

For drawing perfectly striaght lines, most well developed drawing programs support the use of Ctrl or Shift key to force drawing a perfectly straight line.
It's just an objective test. Same thing happens when I move the cursor towards one icon and it ends up on a different one.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I have two different 15 years old wired mice I bought for 5$ each and they still work fine to this day.

Yes, they do but as you can see, you can't follow the same price point with wireless mice. At least, when it comes to Logitech.

For a normal web browsing or casual gaming, the low-end Logitech wireless mice do the job just fine. Also, those smaller mice are usually used with laptops, since it's easier to travel with smaller mouse than bringing a full-sized mouse with you. Even we have such small-from-factor mice in use with our laptops. (Just checked, and i have SpeedLink Minnit, while my missus has Verbatim Go Mini with her laptop. Both are wired.) However, for professional use (drawing) i'd use proper hardware.

It's like when you're e.g carpenter and have used cheap wired power tools just fine and then decide to go with battery powered power tools. Once you buy the cheapo battery powered power tools, you start complaining why they aren't working like professional tools. Well, for cheap price, what else is there to be expected? For proper, professional battery powered power tools, you should be looking towards Makita or Milwaukee, rather than the cheapest set in your local store.

When it comes to cheap products, there is only one good aspect of them; and that is the price. And if you want to get cheap and good product, you have to buy two products: the cheap one and the good one.
You already have a cheap one, two to be exact. Is the 3rd one going to be another cheap one, or are you going for the good one now?

Last edited:
Solution