Logitech, Matured: The G810 Orion Spectrum Mechanical Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indrasil

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
What the... Why is this KB so more expensive in EU than in USA? Are tax rates for wholesale shipping really that high? C'mon, Logitech.

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
I hope tomshardware can do a "switch comparison" between cherrys,razers,steelseries, and logitechs "own keyboard switch" and especially how they protect the light inside it and how well each switch "disperses/displays/scatters" the light on the keyboard... basically how they leak light...

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I hope tomshardware can do a "switch comparison" between cherrys,razers,steelseries, and logitechs "own keyboard switch" and especially how they protect the light inside it and how well each switch "disperses/displays/scatters" the light on the keyboard... basically how they leak light...
Some comparisons have already been done.

Essentially you have Cherry switches as the standard and then Razer, Logitech, and now Das all have 'gaming' switches that have slightly better travel times.

poochiepiano

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Why dont they scrap the numpad put the media keyds over f1-12 instead? Also this is still too expensive.
I know everyone uses keyboards differently, but I don't think I will ever buy a keyboard that doesn't have a numpad. Simply too important. They will probably not lose much business from not producing a tenkeyless model.

tom10167

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
Unbelievably expensive. You'll use the RGB profile for an hour the first day, and then once more and never touch it again. It's cool, but I won't give up my G15 until I can replace it with another keyboard with a screen. No additional USB ports for $170 is a joke, too.

xapoc

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
I got my friend G710+ with brown switches and that keyboard keys feel soo good. Paid ~65 bucks at best buy 2015 black friday.
Still using my 2011 razer black widow with blue switches. Hasn't failed me yet, but in future I will likely go with something using brown switches.

jeremy2020

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
I had Logitech G13 keypad, G510 Keyboard, G930 headset, G602 mouse. I ditched all of them because the Logitech gaming Software is terrible. I mean really, really, terrible. Some of their devices can't handle it if *anything* is plugged into a USB 3.0 slot and it will cause the LGS software to freeze for a few seconds routinely. Logitech support acknowledges the problem, but is unable to provide a solution beyond getting rid of their older hardware (which doesn't have any alternative models).

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I've been researching this, and other things having to do with switches/performance/etc. The "how" of such evaluations is really tricky and requires proper equipment and testing procedures. No small feat. But, yes, it's something we're tinkering with. :)

hannibal

Distinguished
I like this 810 much more than 910, but I agree with tom10167, that I would like to see G15 successor.
Spark 810, with G15 layout would be my favorite keyboard. The screen is not so useful in most cases, but when it is, it is really nice to have it!

Hmm... I have newer had any worries with Logitech gaming software in USB3...
There has to be some compability issue in there. My G15 is from a friend who newer did get this keyboard work as it should have. I personally newer have had any issues with it. So that problem seems to be very rare case...

Definantly looks way way better than the crazy looking G910. However logitech has swung to the other side of the pendulum, it looks too plain, like the Cooler Master mechanical keyboards. If it looked like the G710 or G15 but had those gomer switches, it would be perfect!

mikemp3

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Logitech great hardware lousy software. My G7100 keeps randomizing my keyboard setup, and I see its not just me

Saberus

Distinguished
What the... Why is this KB so more expensive in EU than in USA? Are tax rates for wholesale shipping really that high? C'mon, Logitech.

Might be VAT plus the fact that the US lists prices before sales tax. Even then, 190 pounds is still damn high ($278), so I really don't know...

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Another decade+ G15 user here. I've been tapping my foot waiting for Logitech to make another keyboard as perfect as the G15 but with modern features (how about a USB type C hub with a few 3.0 type A ports?). This is a huge step in the right direction after a few keyboard that do not belong outside a teenager's bedroom, but it's not "the one". For multiplayer gaming, having the name of the person speaking show up on my G15 LCD is a feature that I can't live without. I've been in the market for a new keyboard for maybe 5 years now, but instead last year I just reconditioned my G15 again.

By the way, while the new Logitech app that provides the ability to use your smart phone somewhat like a G15 screen is pretty nifty, frankly I need my phone for other things, and don't want to hassle with plugging/unplugging it so that having the screen on constantly doesn't drain the battery. Plus, my phone is too big to try to situate under the monitor.

Per-key RGB LED lighting — just stop. It's great to have a few color options, or if you want to be extra fancy just a hue/saturation slider to set the backlight color for the whole keyboard to the exact color desired. Beyond that, I don't want it. I'm not going to be taking my keyboard raving with me. I'm not looking at my keyboard while I type unless I'm looking for a key that I seldom press. Rainbows are pretty when they're in the sky, but I'd really prefer not to see them anywhere else. Ever.

Lastly, wrist rests are not optional for me. I have no idea how a $50+ gaming keyboard gets released without a wrist rest, much less a $150+. Mind blown.

poochiepiano

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

Dang, that's a good point. My current keyboard is still on a PS/2 cable but if I were to switch to a USB keyboard, I would hope I could get another port on the keyboard itself.

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

nice thought I was blabbering on my own :) but to be "clear" with the switch comparison I meant the not the usual "50-60 million switches with 0.01 stroke travel time etc etc"

Technology inside it like do they have "specific" tech inside the keyboard that protects the light diode (not sure if its the right term) from shorting out... best I can remember corsair's K70RGB and K95RGB did had some changes to the cherry switches that actually insures the light diode (again not sure if its the right term) is well protected from electric shorts (not sure about shock/drop protection thought) I don't know about other brands

KungMagnus

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
Why dont they scrap the numpad put the media keyds over f1-12 instead? Also this is still too expensive.
I know everyone uses keyboards differently, but I don't think I will ever buy a keyboard that doesn't have a numpad. Simply too important. They will probably not lose much business from not producing a tenkeyless model.

In spite of my comment I'm actually the same way. I was just thinking that since it's made for gamers it would take less room on the desk(importqnt if you used wasd in fpses and a big mouse pad) and they might save a dollar by scrapping the numpad.

Status
Not open for further replies.