Logitech MX500 Problems.

XanderBoy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2004
I just got the Logitech MX500 Optical mouse, and overall all I can really say is that it's designed fairly well. Beyond that, I cannot seem to get the mouse to work flawlessly. Ever since I installed the oh-so-awful drivers for the mouse, it seems like there's always one problem after another. The settings never seem to save properly and initially iTouch would take forever to close when restarting my computer. Regardless, most of that has been fixed now, but what really gets me, and is my "only" issue remaining, is that the mouse every so often will skip very erractically across the screen as I move the mouse. It's fairly random in movement, in addition to when it occurs. It's seriously irritating and not even worth my time at this rate, so I'm going to return it unless I can get some good advice on how to fix this or I'll just end up returning this mouse. The Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0 looks good to me, and cheaper as well.

Felix928

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
I've got the MX500 and I have not had any of the problems you describe.

Granted, the drivers are crappy and crash every once and a while, but my mouse motion has been really smooth. No jumping at all, ever.

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Well I only have the MX300, but it's been really great. I didn't install any programs from the CD though, I only used the drivers from there (or Logitech's website) when W98 asked me.

-----
Wanted: Wet Nurse needed for 25 yr old male. Payment in bed credits.

Haven't had any issues with the drivers (I have both an MX500 and MX700 connected)... as to the skipping issue... what kind of surface are you using it on? People make the mistake of assuming optical mice work on any surface (which is true for the most part), but if the surface is too smooth or reflective, the mouse will move erractically randomly. If your surface is too reflective, use a mouse pad instead. (I use one just for the sake of reducing wear on the pads on the bottom of the mouse).

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

XanderBoy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2004
I tried a different mouse pad, and the skipping has gone away. Thanks for the advice, and I figured out what the problem was. The mouse would only skip on the few sections of the pad where it had been worn out to extremes (I never noticed the wear on the pad). I am now using this really ugly looking NEXTEL mouse pad, but it works, and will suffice until I replace it with another 3M mousing surface.

I loved the 3M mouse pad for ball mice... it was the absolute shiznit. I never bothered with one for my opitcal mice, since the 3M surface was designed for ball mice to track better. In fact, it looked a little too reflective to me. I suppose it's great until the pad starts to wear, then it would be too smooth and reflective for an optical mouse.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Lets get rid of all the other forums and just post everything in the CPU forums.

P4 1.8a @ 2.25, Radeon 9800Pro 380/340, 512mb Corsair xms DDR333, Audigy 2ZS on Boston Acoustics B7800 4.1's, Western Digital 7200rpm 80gb SE, Antec True Power 480W

wilestek

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2004
yea this is a cpu forum not a mouse forum?? but beside that i had the same problem especially during gaming until i downloaded the newest drivers from the logi website.. thats the only advice i can give

TRENDING THREADS