Logitech Replaces Performance Mouse MX With $99 MX Master

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beliskner10

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
As a longtime user of the Performance MX I'm optimistic about this mouse. My old MX is probably getting close to retirement due to wear/tear on the buttons.

Gman46

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
I like my Performance MX. I don't think that the battery life will last 40 days on this. I have to charge the battery at least once a week. I hope it does but, I am not thoroughly convinced that it will hold a charge for that long.

alexander w

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
The very first MX Revolution mouse had a similar "adaptive" scroll wheel which was really awesome. It's very cool to see it making a comeback after all these years of being gone -- that original mouse was the only one to have the feature.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
As someone that has gone through 3 Performance Mouse MX I can say this is not an upgrade. Those 9 buttons are great once you get use to them. The downfall of the mouse is that users cannot remap all buttons in Setpoint software. Only Buttons 1-5 can be remapped to perform different functions per application. Buttons 6-9 cannot be remapped unless you install the old 4.65 Uberoptions mod then you can remap all buttons.

My first mouse had double clicking issues after a year of use. RMA to Logitech and was sent a new mouse in advance (great customer service). My second mouse had double clicking issues after 3 months, RMA to Logitech again. My third mouse had double clicking issues after a month and after all that the solution was to open the mouse, open the micro switch and spray some WD40 inside the micro switch and never had double clicking issues again with the left click.

The only improvement here is the Li-Po battery but it should ideally be a Lithium Ion battery for longer life. Over the years of having the Performance Mouse MX the battery only lasts about 7 days so I do not know how they get 4 weeks. Also the Performance Mouse has a 3 year warranty as opposed to the 1 year warranty this one comes with which shows how much they are willing to stand behind this product. Even my $20 Logitech Marathon M705 mouse has a 3 year warranty which is on its 4th year of use with its original batteries, zero issues :).

I still use the Performance Mouse MX to this very day and I love it and all its 9 buttons when paired with a K800 :)

3ogdy

Distinguished
I really hope this is a Black& Silver mouse and not a Black&GipsyGold one.
It would destroy the mood for a lot of gaming rigs and gamers around the world.

USAFRet

Titan
I want my Revolution back !

But the removal of the AA battery in place of a LiPo is not a good thing, IMHO.
Currently, on my PerformanceMX, if it is on the edge of dying, I just pop in a new AA, and then plug it in later to recharge overnight. I have a wireless mouse for a reason. To be wireless..:)

CraigCore2

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
I still have the original MX1000, and I'm surprised that the mouse still lasts over a month on a single charge! I'll need to get a new one here soon though, because my mouse will have random lag spikes unless I'm not using the done. Well done logitech

I loved the MX design because all the button where accessible and reprogramable in games. It was actually a great gaming mouse... however the wireless connectivity wasn't always optimal (lag input) and the battery life was bad (average of 2-3 days).

Lasers are draining too much battery and a low battery can result in lag input. I switched for a G602 using del technology which is giving better accuracy and better battery life even at 50% of the receiver frequency of the Performance MX.

Logitech should really think about making a Gaming MX... I would simply rush to get one.

I had the same combo. I just replaced my MX with a G602.

I agree... as an early wireless adopter, my MX 3000 combo was good, but the internal battery died after a single year. You can only RMA it. I don't understand why logitech is going back this way.

Exactly, Logitech already made a better mouse and it was the MX Revolution, the Performance MX's predecessor. Adaptive scrolling ( don't forget you could set it so clicking the middle button would shift from free spin to click-to-click, ) fully programmable, great battery ( I could easily get 10 days when first got it, and even now that it's 7+ years old I still get 2-3 days, ) and the most comfortable thing I've ever used. And I could go on for hours about the thumb wheel. Funny how now they're going back to Revolution design to improve over the Performance MX.

I want to try a G700s since it's a very similar shape, but I hear bad things about the battery.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
I know that Logitech is not the coolest brand in the industry but i use their products at home and at work. Keyboard with Macros, Mice, i have never had a bad product from them.

Most people do not want to buy stuff for work but to me if i am using the mouse and keyboard all day long i may as well go for what i love so i got great keyboard and MX mouse from Logitech and a big mouse pad from Razer.

yorkhung

Honorable
Mar 21, 2015
I am still using my MX Revolution 5500 combo. I love the mouse so much that I refuse to "upgrade" I am hoping the new mouse is as good as my revolution so when it breaks I'll have replacement

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I have a glass desk and hate using mouse pads so I had to get the performance mouse mx even though id rather have something else. You would think there would be more options for controlling a mouse on glass but there isnt.

They are lying big time about 30 days of battery use. I have to recharge every 5 days. So i'm guessing with the new battery ill get about 7 days instead of 5. I have also had problems with the mouse where a single left click would register as a double click. Logitech replaced it instantly and I didn't even have to send the old one back. My replacement mouse is almost 3 years old now still works fine. I will give the mx master a try when this one goes. I am worried they reduced the warranty to 1 year though.

Since gaming is my main focus I cant use heavy/wireless mice.
This is a problem as most light weight corder mices are not at this quality (and price is also lower).
Lucky for me mices are such a huge market nowadays that you can find almost anything.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007

Can you name one (1) other brand/mouse that can have its buttons remapped per button per application? As far as I know its Logitech or nothing.

USAFRet

Titan

Any rodent that supports IntelliMouse
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/help/support/how-to/mouse/reassign-buttons

Or maybe 'X-Mouse Button Control'
http://www.ghacks.net/2012/12/27/remap-your-mouse-buttons-on-windows/

Or something from here:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-apps-for-customizing-a-mouse/

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Thank you. Intellimouse does not support remapping tilt (wheel) left/right. It was #1 reason I jumped ship to Logitech. Xmouse has the same problem, but it's more limiting in options as well.

I'll take a look at the third link you gave. I'd very much like to find a single viable alternative to Logitech. Not because I think there is something wrong with it, but because I feel stuck with it.

I was waiting for years for them to refresh MX revolution. Without a thumb wheel and insufficient number of buttons, MX Performance was just a no go for me. If this MX master is off, even a little bit- I'd be left in to cold trying to scavenge the remaining used MX revolutions... Anyway, I'd LOVE to have some alternatives.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
It looks like Xmose changed a lot since the last I've used it. Reading the review you linked, I find the authors statement true:

"I reviewed the program in 2008 for the first time and it has come a long way since then justifying a new review."

Status
Not open for further replies.