Status
Not open for further replies.

adsoyo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
I've had these speakers for close to 20 years at this point. Now that I'm exercising in my garage I have a rekindled desire to get these working again. The speakers will pop and snap loudly when adjusting the volume. I have to turn the control pod off then adjust the volume and turn the pod back on because the pops are so loud. I know the issue is with the potentiometer. I've tried dousing it with electronic parts cleaner to no avail. I've read about a dozen threads of people having the same issue (most from 2003-2007). I'm wondering if anyone knows where to find a replacement potentiometer. I called Logitech support and they were absolutely no help but they did keep me on hold for a total of 45 minutes. I tried a replacement $30 control pod from Amazon but the audio-in port didn't work unless I held the 3.5mm jack at just the right angle and even then I discovered that the bass is either at 0% or 100%, there is no adjustability.

The pot is a KIE
10K x4 stages
15A10 K Ohms x4
PCB Mount: 12 pins

Can anyone think of a suitable replacement? Otherwise I wouldn't be opposed to a home theater receiver to keep this speaker system alive.

Solution
The sub won't work with just a receiver, it has a custom input from the controller.

Just get a working speaker set or a used one of the Z 560, they pop up on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace at times. I have the same speakers, and same issue with the controller pod with the noise when turning the volume knob. It helps for a bit if you turn the knob its full range several times before turning it on, and just keep it at the same volume and adjust volume with the computer or whatever you are using it with. I have mine set at like 1/4 volume and use my PC volume to adjust things.

Receiver using a headphone out may work with the speakers that way also, but then you may as well just get a normal set of speakers with the receiver and...

adsoyo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
It's a 4.1 surround system released back around 2001. Each speaker puts out 53 watts and the 8" sub puts out 188 watts for a total of 400. The speakers and sub are worth saving in my opinion.

adsoyo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
I originally posted this in Home Audio but it didn't get any attention. I've had these speakers for close to 20 years at this point. Now that I'm exercising in my garage I have a rekindled desire to get these working again. The speakers will pop and snap loudly when adjusting the volume. I have to turn the control pod off then adjust the volume and turn the pod back on because the pops are so loud. I know the issue is with the potentiometer. I've tried dousing it with electronic parts cleaner and turning the knob end to end dozens of times to no avail. I've read every thread that comes up in a search of people having the same issue (most from 2003-2007) but no solution. It looks like the pot Logitech used is very uncommon. I'm wondering if anyone knows where to find a replacement. I called Logitech support and they were absolutely no help but they did keep me on hold for a total of 45 minutes. I tried a replacement $30 control pod from Amazon but the audio-in port didn't work unless I held the 3.5mm jack at just the right angle and even then I discovered that the bass is either at 0% or 100%, there is no adjustability.

The pot is a KIE
10K x4 stages
15A10 K Ohms x4
PCB Mount: 12 pins

Can anyone think of a suitable replacement? Otherwise I wouldn't be opposed to a home theater receiver to keep this speaker system alive.

The sub won't work with just a receiver, it has a custom input from the controller.

Just get a working speaker set or a used one of the Z 560, they pop up on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace at times. I have the same speakers, and same issue with the controller pod with the noise when turning the volume knob. It helps for a bit if you turn the knob its full range several times before turning it on, and just keep it at the same volume and adjust volume with the computer or whatever you are using it with. I have mine set at like 1/4 volume and use my PC volume to adjust things.

Receiver using a headphone out may work with the speakers that way also, but then you may as well just get a normal set of speakers with the receiver and get better sound from them. Z 560 are good, but there are plenty of $100 or so bookshelf speakers that sound better (Micca ones for example).

Solution

adsoyo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
If I used a receiver, I figured I could've just taken the built in amp out of the equation and ran some speaker wire through the box to the sub like a traditional automotive sub setup.

Right now I'm back to using the stock control pod. I'm doing exactly what you said, leaving the volume knob at about 1/2 and adjusting the volume on my phone instead. I've got the speakers mounted in all 4 upper corners of the garage and they sound great!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS