Josh-Sweeny

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013
Looking to upgrade my unknown brand hand-me-down speakers on my desktop set-up for watching movies and a few games.

Looking around I can get the Z333 for ~£50 and the Z337 for ~£75. The only difference I can make out between these two is the bluetooth which I personally would pay extra to not deal with more cables. Is there any potential worsening of quality with using bluetooth speakers in general or this pair in particular?

Also I have found the Z623's also for ~£75, I notice these are older but from what I can tell may be nicer sounding and have a mucher higher wattage. Would I be making a mistake getting the Z337 instead of these?

Worth keeping in mind that I live in a shared house, will the z623s be so loud it'll disturb my housemates?

Solution
The 623 sub has a level option on it, if you get something like a isolation pad under it, it should help with leaking the sound and vibrations to other rooms. I have an older 4.1 version of that speaker and my sub level is at like 20%, which is enough to get the bass going but not enough to get the boominess traveling through the house.

Or get a nice 2.0 set that sounds good but has less bass vibration and sound carrying than a 2.1 set. If you have the desk space or can place these on stands next to the desk, and can stretch a bit in price, these ones are great...
If the speakers are the same, running them over bluetooth does not do much to the audio quality. The Z623 are going to sound better than the other models, but in you situation really any 2.1 system will end up being boomy to others due to the way low end sound waves travel. Z623 sub is pretty strong.

Have you thought of getting some comfortable headphones and maybe a less bass present 2.0 setup when you need to share audio with others? Or maybe the cheaper Z323 and then headphones if you want some bass when you can play the speakers. Philips SHP9500 headphones are very comfortable, cheaper and have great sound.

Josh-Sweeny

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013
If the speakers are the same, running them over bluetooth does not do much to the audio quality. The Z623 are going to sound better than the other models, but in you situation really any 2.1 system will end up being boomy to others due to the way low end sound waves travel. Z623 sub is pretty strong.

Have you thought of getting some comfortable headphones and maybe a less bass present 2.0 setup when you need to share audio with others? Or maybe the cheaper Z323 and then headphones if you want some bass when you can play the speakers. Philips SHP9500 headphones are very comfortable, cheaper and have great sound.
I already have a pair of headphones, was just thinking of getting some speakers so I don't have to wear them all the time. The noise isn't that big of a deal was just asking in case the Z623's sub is so strong you'd heard it through multiple floors. Upon more research I think the 623's sub is a bit overkill. I am at university in a 9m^2 room but am hoping to keep these after graduating and moving so the type of room these sit in may change. So overall I am looking for something that wont rattle the walls in my small room but also will be able to fill a potentially larger room. Would the Z337's do this or are there better options? I am interested in a 2.1 setup for immersion in watching movies and games but also happy to get a 2.0 setup for now and then add a sub later if that is possible (sorry very new to world of speakers and surround sound)

The 623 sub has a level option on it, if you get something like a isolation pad under it, it should help with leaking the sound and vibrations to other rooms. I have an older 4.1 version of that speaker and my sub level is at like 20%, which is enough to get the bass going but not enough to get the boominess traveling through the house.

Or get a nice 2.0 set that sounds good but has less bass vibration and sound carrying than a 2.1 set. If you have the desk space or can place these on stands next to the desk, and can stretch a bit in price, these ones are great https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R170...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Solution

Josh-Sweeny

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013

Or get a nice 2.0 set that sounds good but has less bass vibration and sound carrying than a 2.1 set. If you have the desk space or can place these on stands next to the desk, and can stretch a bit in price, these ones are great https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R170...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Thanks for the reply, I decide to go for a 2.0 setup for now and hoping to add a sub later. I actually ended up buying those exact Edifier speakers you sent. I know that these don't have sub out, would this be an issue when adding a sub to this system if my PC itself has a Sub output instead?

Thanks for the reply, I decide to go for a 2.0 setup for now and hoping to add a sub later. I actually ended up buying those exact Edifier speakers you sent. I know that these don't have sub out, would this be an issue when adding a sub to this system if my PC itself has a Sub output instead?

You should be OK with using the connection off your computer. Once you use them you may not even feel the need for a sub unless you listen to a lot of rap or electronic music that love to use low end thump.