Question Logitech Z5500 Speaker minor static and major popping issue

May 10, 2023
Hi everyone,

I hope you can answer a question about a problem baffling me.
I recently inherited my brother's Logitech Z5500 speakers. When he died he gifted them to me knowing I loved them. When I was with him, every time he used them he never went overboard with making them as loud as possible. Usually when they were on the Logitech Control Panel was never above 5 bars on the digital panel.
When I heard them there never was a problem with sound issues other than they sounded fantastic!
Then I inherited them, and plugged them into my Sound Blaster Z. Toslink optical out of the sound blaster Z into the Toslink input in of the Logitech Z5500 Control Panel. However I "think" the toslink connection to the sound card is a little loose as I heard no "click" and I didn't want to force the plug into the input section on the sound card.
In addition the RCA cables are connected to the RCA connection in the back of the Sound Blaster Z card at the same time as the Toslink.
The sound is great! However, after about a time of 15 minutes+ I start to hear either mild static coming out of the speakers, or loud popping.
Even when the computer is turned off but the panel is turned on the popping and static persists.
Both cables are brand new.
I am perplexed!
As long as I hear any music when I first turn on the speakers, after a while my listening enjoyment gets crunched when the static and/or popping starts up.
Do I need to throw out my speakers, or can they be "rebuilt" or fixed in anyway. If so, then who would I go to get them "fixed"?
Are they easy to fix on my own? Could it be a blown or flaky capacitor? A transformer? A simple matter of a fuse replacement? If a fuse what type do I get? I don't think it is a fuse as the system wouldn't power on if that was the case.
Any ideas from you guys on what it might be?
Tamara

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When he died he gifted them to me knowing I loved them.
I'm sorry for your loss, and hope that you're all in good order.

I "think" the toslink connection to the sound card is a little loose as I heard no "click"
You might want to include an image of how the TOSLINK cable/connector is seated on both ends.

The sound is great! However, after about a time of 15 minutes+ I start to hear either mild static coming out of the speakers, or loud popping.
Even when the computer is turned off but the panel is turned on the popping and static persists.

You might want to relocate to another wall outlet and see if the issue persists. To me, if it's not the TOSLINK cable, then it could be a grounding issue or that the internals of the speaker might've been compromised due to age/wear and tear.

You could also inspect your crib's wiring and see if the grounding issue is prevalent across your home.

Could it be a blown or flaky capacitor?
This will mean you 've opened up the amplifier on the subwoofer to inspect for something that does not look normal.