Logitech Z906 and Asus Prime Pro x470 do i need a soundcard for dolby digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnightowl626

Honorable
Nov 28, 2016
Hi i been trying to figure this out my self but i am planning to buy a logitech z906 5.1 dolby digital surround sound and i want to know what is the best way to connect my pc to the z906 and get dolby digital enabled. I read that best way is via toslink cable but i never found anything on weather i need a sound card or if im able to get 5.1 dolby digital with the Prime pro x470 motherboard. I read a little something about Dolby digital live on sound cards like the Sound Blaster Z but what i want to know if a soundcard is necessary? if so is the Sound Blaster Z my best bet for the price? the logitech z906 surround sound doesent have hdmi ports so i cant connect via hdmi.

Your motherboard seems to have an optical output. Check the audio control panel to make sure it's an option.
I don't think there would be any advantage to using a soundcard since the speaker will be doing the Dolby processing anyway.
You could also use an HDMI audio extractor to provide an digital input for the speakers if the optical out didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS