[SOLVED] Logitech z906 speakers to TV: main sound only coming from centre. Front & rear only playing background noise ?

michaelt76

Prominent
Oct 5, 2019
Hi, I just got the z906 speaker system today as an all in one replacement for 3 different setups. When I first connected to my tv via optical only 2.1 was playing. I couldn't change anything on the pod, only decode was lit.

I read on a few forums that the system won't do 5.1 through optical so ordered a DAC. I then tried it on Netflix and the 5.1 all lit up on the pod and sound came through all 5 so cancelled the Amazon DAC order. Now 5 minutes after cancelling the order I just realized that the rear speakers as well as the front 2 speakers are only playing the background noise, centre playing the main audio.

Would A DAC sort this out?

The Samsung QLEDs don't have any audio outputs.

Cheers

Ignorant pricks on here!

Last edited:
Solution
Hi, I just got the z906 speaker system today as an all in one replacement for 3 different setups. When I first connected to my tv via optical only 2.1 was playing. I couldn't change anything on the pod, only decode was lit.

I read on a few forums that the system won't do 5.1 through optical so ordered a DAC. I then tried it on Netflix and the 5.1 all lit up on the pod and sound came through all 5 so cancelled the Amazon DAC order. Now 5 minutes after cancelling the order I just realized that the rear speakers as well as the front 2 speakers are only playing the background noise, centre playing the main audio.

Cheers

Ignorant pricks on here!

The...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
All a surround Dac would do is process audio in virtual surround much like z906 already does for 3D surround. It's not perfect. Netflix already compresses surround tracks on their end so that's why their content works, sort of.

For your intended purposes, multiple devices, surround decoders, z906 is not ideal. An actual Avr setup will process 2 ch audio into virtual surround much better.

Cheers

Ignorant pricks on here!

The way you describe it working sounds right for 5.1 audio, the center channel does the dialog and also a bunch of the front audio, rear speakers are filler. The L and R speakers should be working most of the time also, depending on what you are watching though. Watch something where there is good panning to the left or right and to the rears, a racing car movie or something with planes flying around is usually good for that.

Solution