Logitech's New Gaming Mouse Has 250-hour Battery Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
I'm with Pop. I've had plenty of Logitech and MS mice that have stupidly long battery life times. Granted I've never counted exactly how long, but, it's still months at a time. Is this headline worthy news?

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

8 Hours per day for 5 Months (which is basically my take on your stated battery life) is about 1200 hours - Which is less than what the logitech one gets in "endurance mode"

Considering that the Logitech mouse is more capable than an MS one (thought not necessarily "better"), I'd say it's a nice improvement for the battery life, all things considered :)

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I wonder what the difference is between Performance and Endurance mode that affects battery life so greatly. The only thing I can think of that they might change is the polling rate which would certainly affect battery life. Performance mode could be 1000Hz for gaming and Endurance mode could drop it to 125Hz or 250Hz to reduce the amount of times the mouse has to talk to the PC.

Logitech makes some great mice if you want a wireless mouse with long battery life. I have one of their M705 Marathon mice at work and it's rated for an absurd 3 years of battery life off of 2 AA batteries. I've had it for 6 months and in the SetPoint software it's still reporting an estimated remaining life of over 1000 days on a pair of cheap alkaline AA's.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I currently `use a Logitech M510 wireless mouse and i really don't remember when was the last time i've changed the batteries....i'm not even sure i've ever changed them....hmmm.
I bought it last year...

SVoyager

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
Hmm this could have been a great replacement for my MX1100 but there is always something missing.. In this case, there doesn't appear to be the very useful and nicely crafted scroll wheel that you can unclock and make it turn freely. Granted not all that useful for gaming but still, I don't tend to switch mouse for when I game vs when I browse the net.

http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/logitech_mx1100_cordless_laser_mouse.jpg
my MX1100 has seen better days and is looking like its on its last leg. The battery life on it was already nice. If only they could make a better one.

I think their big revolution to battery life that they say is when you compare it to their previous gaming mouse that you could both run usb or wireless. I think the thing lasted barely 10-20 hours or so, useless. So compared to that, its a big improvement indeed. Compared to my MX1100, its "meh".

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I bought the G700S and discovered that I could drain the battery in 2 hours. It would then take about 6 hours to charge back up. In fact it is such an unadulterated piece of rubbish I simply tossed it into my spare mice box. Logitech were very unhelpful so I am loathe to purchase any more of their products.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
The Logitech G602 runs on two standard AA batteries and packs a 2,500 DPI optical sensor with Logitech's Delta Zero sensor technology, 11 programmable G-keys, a lag-free 2.4GHz connection, and a 500 GHz report rate.
500 Ghz report rate??? Are we sure that's accurate?

popatim

Titan
Its a 7 button mouse. They stopped making it over 2 years ago. I bought 3 more when they clearanced them out. LoL

While I sure it can't compare to Logitech's offering, this is by far my favorite mouse. Size, weight, comfort, macro programmability, and surfaces it works fine on is amazing.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I've got a G700 and I was surprised on just how good the battery life is. This new mouse looks interesting but it has too many buttons for my taste and the scroll lock button should be raised a bit more too. A toned down version with less thumb buttons and maybe.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
The g700 is a bit weird with the battery life

I have it and it has 3 modes, Power saver, Normal gaming, and Max gaming

Max gaming is pretty much the mouse pretending that it is connected through USB. It does not use any power saving.

Normal gaming will go into a low power state after a few minutes of not being used, and power saver is your classic battery powered mouse mode where where the laser will switch to a very low polling rate within like 5 seconds of you not moving the mouse

The polling rate from the mouse to the USB receiver is pretty much always the same (what you set, so on any mode, lowering the polling rate will increase battery power)

Max gaming mode and 1000Hz polling rate will drain the batteries in about 6-8 hours (hope you have the USB cable or extra AA rechargeable batteries on hand :) )

It seems the G this time around is designed with a more energy efficient sensor. (the biggest power usage on the G700 was that 5700 dpi sensor)

-==--=--==-=-=-=-
For the user claiming a 2 hour battery life on the g700, make sure you didn't get a bad battery.

it should be a sanyo eneloop battery and with the settings maxed out, you should be getting 6-8 hours of use, and on power saver you should get a few weeks depending on use (though powersaver can drain the mouse quickly if you are playing a game where the mouse is constantly moving)

Aug 15, 2013
So... I'd only have to recharge my rechargeable AA batteries every 2-3 months instead of every month? That's not really going to convince me to buy this mouse over another one. Still it'd be nice if all the mice had that kind of battery life.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007

If a mouse has a low power idle state then usually depending on how often you actively use the mouse, you can probably go 6 months+ between charges.

If a mouse has a full standby function then it can essentially go idle and use only a few microamps with probably a 1ma load every few minutes to keep the connection alive, then when the mouse if moved, the mouse can kick into a high power state,.

Most sensors that offer a low power state will go to a slow poling rate of the sensor, at a very low resolution with the goal of just detecting movement of any kind (not caring about direction (just for something to change) then within a few milliseconds, the sensor switches to a high powered state offering the normal performance.

most non gaming mice have a permanent idle profile where if the mouse goes into standby while you are using it, eg you stop moving it for a few seconds, then when you move the mouse, there is like a quarter second delay before it responds.

Gaming mice simply disable that state, or set the delay to be very long (eg 10 minutes) (or in cases of many wired only mice, no idle state what so ever (eg the logitech MX518 ) (it never goes into standby and always polls the sensor at full speed regardless of dpi setting or anything else.

martelmungo

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
My Logitech Performance MX, is rechargeable and works on all kinds of glass.. besides the buttons... there is not benefit for me... to buy a new mouse... also my wireless mouse, can be plugged in if it dies, so i can recharge it while i game, or if it dies i dont need to replace the battery just plug and go, it charges within a couple hours unplug and keep going... ALL gaming wireless mice should have an option to plug them in.... going back to having to buy batteries and switch them out, when it dies.. sucks no thanks, ill accept having 4-6 buttons over whatever this one has.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
This is a good looking mouse IMO. I use wired gaming mouse since it's just better for the FPS I play, but for typical single player games, this wireless mouse would be great!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007

11 buttons are pretty minimalistic for a mouse

I have the G700 and the 13 buttons are very limiting (wish it had at least 3 more buttons.

Once you get used to using a mouse that allows for macros, you will quickly find yourself needing more and more buttons.

For me to satisfy my gaming and professional application needs (partially), I had to get a G700 mouse and a G510 keyboard.

If the logitech g13 wasn't so expensive, I would get one too as the G510 is limited to only 3 pages of 18 macros each, for each application, and the G700 is limited to just 7 G keys per page, and a limit of 5 pages

not sure how many the g602 stores but if it is just one page than that will be far too limiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.