Logitech's New Wireless Living Room Keyboard is Backlit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
I have the K400.. they are nice for what they are. I can definitely see the back lighting being useful. However, one main reason why I bought the K400 was because it was under $40. As Lamontiego said, $100 is way too expensive to charge for a product like this. And yes, I do agree that they should offer Bluetooth instead as I hate having to figure out which dongle to use for each wireless Logitech device I have; not to mention the waste of a USB port or the fear of losing the stupid thing....

tvieson

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
They used Blue Tooth on the DiNovo and DiNovo Mini which I have used for my HTPC for the last 3 to 4 years. Its been pretty good and I still use it. It also cost 99.00. The Blue Tooth worked flawless till I updated my HTPC to Windows 7. It still works will most of the time, but I have to pull the battery out once and a while to get to sync back up. Annoying, but the fix is quick and easy.

I love Logitech products. I have always found there peripherals to be comfortable and dependable. I have used other manufacturers, but they never feel as comfortable as Logitech and they never last. You can't beat the longevity of there products. Every keyboard and mouse I have ever purchased from them still works 100%. I still have 3 of there original optical mice that first came to replace the old ball mice. They all still work to this day as good as the day I bought them.

BranFlake5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Way Way to Expensive.... Logitech is smoking crack if they think people are going to pay that price.

They sell tons of Bluetooth iPad keyboards for $99. I'm pretty sure there will be a market for this, just not one you're thinking of.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I have a Performance Mouse MX and a K800 and i only had to pair them once to a single receiver. Best Logitech setup ever for home use!

Blutooth? Hell no, not on W7, having to constantly pair is a PITA. Hopefully they use Lithium Ion batteries in this keyboard instead of the eNi-TIME knock off Sanyo Eneloops.

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
I also have the K400 and always wished there was a backlight for the keys and I wish they did something with the touchpad. The touchpad is rather large and the buttons are so small that sometimes I think that I'm on clicking on the buttons but actually i'm on the touchpad. I also hate it when I turn on my HTPC or even put it too sleep that it doesn't remember that I disabled the ability for it to register a tap on the touchpad as a left mouse click.

G

The previous model of this keyboard with out backlight is about $130 in Australia so i don't know what you are all crying about, this will probably be $200 in Australia :(

fwupow

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
I bought some fly-by-night wireless keyboard years back and it had Right & Left Mouse buttons on the left side side of the board near at the top edge and a joystick on the right side, so you could hold the keyboard in both hands and use it like a game-controller. The problem is that moving a mouse pointer around by joy-stick is dreadfully slow. What I do want to see however, are mouse buttons on the left side, top edge and trackpad on the right-side top edge, so that you can hold the keyboard in the air and use the trackpad with your right-hand thumb and press mouse buttons with your left-hand thumb. Why? Cuz otherwise, you have to set the keyboard down on your lap, so you can use the trackpad with your middle or index finger and press the buttons with your right thumb and keyboards like this don't want to set still on your lap and who's to say you even have a proper "lap" when you lounging on a bed, futon, recliner or couch? I don't want to have to design every product in the world, but I can't help it that I'm better at it.

What's with the whining here ... are all of you Gen Y or something?

My mouse and keyboard have a cable going to the Case ... no problems here.

Got a backlit green one for like $20.

Sometimes the best solution is the simple one.

:)

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

And?

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Wrong market. Wired mice and keyboard are way less than convenient for HTPC based computer systems, which these types of keyboards/mice are designed for. I can't imagine having a 2 20 foot cables laying in the middle of my floor running from the couch to the computer hooked up to the TV for the mouse and keyboard.

ifIwasarichman

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
I have a MX 500 and 5500 bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo's and I have a K400 and just about 3 months ago I got a K830.
To let you know I have once with the 5500 and about 3 times with the 5000 re-paired them over many years of service (excluding PC overhauls and upgrades) and do not have them drop out like some say and they have been used at over 5 meters constantly with no problems (original media access through TV).
Then got a K400 - good but no backlight and the batteries last for ages (a good set about a year give or take a couple of months due to usage)
The K830 is a great set up, and it does have a extra left click mouse button on the left top edge.
Lithium rechargeables last me about 4 to 6weeks of use with the illumination set on low (which has been ample bright enough for me).
It cost me under $100 ($105 retail price with discount) and it is well worth it to see what you are pressing.
Overall, the only fault I can find is the not quite perfect keystroke operation, the keys are flat and take a little while to get used to after using better shaped keys.
As for the comment above, obviously they do not use their keyboard and mouse away from their computer, I also have a gaming keyboard and mouse plugged in, but I cannot take that to the lounge and watch on my TV (3D 65" 4KTV and PC both have WIDI)
I have no idea why so many are complaining, as this K830 is a great piece of kit and besides, if you want something good, you usually have to pay for it..

ifIwasarichman

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
I have a MX 5000 and 5500 bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo's and I have a K400 and just about 3 months ago I got a K830.
To let you know I have once with the 5500 and about 3 times with the 5000 re-paired them over many years of service (excluding PC overhauls and upgrades) and do not have them drop out like some say and they have been used at over 5 meters constantly with no problems (original media access through TV).
Then got a K400 - good but no backlight and the batteries last for ages (a good set about a year give or take a couple of months due to usage)
The K830 is a great set up, and it does have a extra left click mouse button on the left top edge.
Lithium rechargeables last me about 4 to 6weeks of use with the illumination set on low (which has been ample bright enough for me).
It cost me under $100 ($105 retail price with discount) and it is well worth it to see what you are pressing.
Overall, the only fault I can find is the not quite perfect keystroke operation, the keys are flat and take a little while to get used to after using better shaped keys.
As for the comment above, obviously they do not use their keyboard and mouse away from their computer, I also have a gaming keyboard and mouse plugged in, but I cannot take that to the lounge and watch on my TV (3D 65" 4KTV and PC both have WIDI)
I have no idea why so many are complaining, as this K830 is a great piece of kit and besides, if you want something good, you usually have to pay for it..

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I have a K800 and Performance Mouse MX paired together and the K360 and M705 (Marathon Mouse) paired together. They work wonderfully and I am happy none of them are Bluetooth as I've had Bluetooth mice drop and Bluetooth keyboard lag when typing.

I paired both keyboard and mice sets to a single receiver and never looked back. The only downside was the Performance Mouse left click issue but learned that if you open the mouse, and applied some WD40 to the contacts under the micro switch it fixed the double-click. I went through 3 Performance Mouse MX before I saw the fix on their forum.

I also wish the K360 had backlit keys Or their K810 used the unifying receiver.

I just may be a Logitech fanboy, on top of this I have the Z-5500, X-540, Harmony 700, Harmony 510, and the Illumined Wired Keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.