Logitech's Romer-G Switches: Are They Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glorfendel

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
loving mine got it about 2 weeks ago still getting used to something I don't have to bash on like a g15\510. no issues with bios works fine with my ASUS x99 deluxe. only wish the wrist rest was larger but I will get over it. software is not a mess like the corsair that I did have issues with in my bios and the chary mx reds where just to soft for typing. I game and work with it so I was looking for something like mx browns. everyone that has used it or even looked at it so far has ordered one.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I'm a fan of Logitech Peripherals and customer support, but those keycaps look like TRON barf.

I am excited to see the proliferation of mechanical switches in keyboards, and will have to hunt one of these down to see how they feel. Then I'll wait for some better key-caps to show up.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The key shape is crap.

Okay, use those switches - in a regular shaped keyboard and keys... with an improved layout. I would REALLY REALLY love to buy a modern keyboard that works worth a damn.

Todays keyboards use decals for the lettering. They tend to last months, maybe a year or two... and I'm talking about a $20~50 name brand product.

Also, because its hard to see the lettering on a black keyboard - in a not-so-bright room, it needs to be lit. We need more white keyboards folks.

This is *WHY* I'm still using a 1995 era generic-clone of the MS Natural keyboard... because pretty much NOBODY makes them like this. These were sold by Lite-ON, Mouse Systems, Dell and others:
http://forum.clubedohardware.com.br/uploads/monthly_06_2008/post-715-13884947336895.gif

This keyboard sold for $25~35. It has a nice big L-shaped ENTER key and a nice BIG Backspace key. (With most keyboards - you don't get both). How did they do this? They made the standard way-to-large right-shift key smaller and moved the |\ (pipe) key to a better location.

How I would make a MODERN new keyboard (ergonomic or not) - Very much the layout in the photo. But I'd like the page-island keys rotated and the mostly useless Insert key off in order to make the DELETE KEY larger - like this Logitech:

http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products/xl/016594/logitech_media_keyboard_600.jpg

Actually almost like that layout... as the Scroll Lock / Pause-break keys are rarely ever used. The DUMB thing about this keyboard... is that the right SHIFT key is HUGE - while they stupidly made the LEFT shift key TINY because they duplicated the PIPE \ key ( |\) on both sides of the keyboard - making the ENTER and L-Shift keys smaller. When that key should be below the ENTER key (like my first example) which still allows the R-Shift to be a decent size.

That is the keyboard *I* want...!

As of today... I'm using my 2nd SK-6000 keyboard (1st photo) which I found at a thrift store for $10. I put my original 1995 version in storage - not because its broken, but because they keys have a bit more wear and mostly because it has a HUGE AT style keyboard connector which I use PS/2 Adapter (this is about 2" long) plugged into a PS/2 extender cable (because having a 3" of plug sticking out of a PS2 connector is too damn heavy and space issues).

(For those in full forum mode - click on the quotes ICON at top - so you can see the pics without clicking on the link)
post-715-13884947336895.gif

logitech_media_keyboard_600.jpg

geogan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I wouldn't mind one of these new keyboards that allows you to colour individual keys different colours (for Premiere editing etc) but I STILL NEED my Logitech keyboards little LED display panel to show me into - I ALWAYS have this displaying everything about CPU/GPU/MEMORY conditions using MSI Afterburner while playing BF4. Attention Logitech I will NOT buy any of your new keyboards without this feature.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Has Logitech solved their issues with their keyboards having a hard time being detected by BIOS and the quality of the LED circuitry or the plethora of other issues that make their keyboards hard to live with outside of an MMO?

3 keyboards that cost $100+ in a row from Logitech with significant issues made me move on to a mechanical keyboard with Cherry switches.

I have never had any of those issues with Logitech keyboards.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Unfortunately Logitech took so long to come out with these that I bought a Corsair K95 already - but I would have anyway because I want a full 18 macro keys on the side. Some of us G15 users had been asking for a mechanical keyboard just like it and got no word from Logitech, so there you go, one more time a company loses money by not communicating with its customers.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Id be interested to see how well Logitech fairs with its cherry alternative, However it will still be quite aome time before I replace my Steelseries G6v2 Right now key ahine is the only issue I have and that usually happens in a month anyway. I also prefer mine without extra lights as they only get in the way if you are watching something from bed or when you leave your pc on at night.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I've had this for a week. All I can say is Logitech nailed it. I am very glad -even more so after reading this article- I have this keyboard. It's very nice.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I've had this for a week. All I can say is Logitech nailed it. I am very glad -even more so after reading this article- I have this keyboard. It's very nice.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009

Niels, next time you get to talk with a peripheral designer, can you PLEASE ask them why no one is building a mech board with an ergonomic layout ( and I'm not talking about the wacky TECK board. ) Seriously, get some mech switches with a light ergo curve like the MS 2000 or 5000 series, backlight it, and watch it fly off the shelf.

Theretoohsprahs

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
I recently picked a G910+ and I love it. It has a quick response, which I sometimes find to be too sensitive, but I'm getting used to a mechanical KB. My old KB was an entry-level Arcosta that had terrible switches.

Jez Brook

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
I just got mine yesterday. I upgraded from a G19 and still getting used to it, the keys feel further apart and the F keys feel miles away from WASD. Also ALL the software is in the infancy and doesn't even deliver on promised features but hoping it will mature fast and we all get what we paid for.

Theretoohsprahs

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014

Yeah that is true, but the key spacing isn't much of an issue for me, considering that I have large hands. Also, Logitech said on Reddit that they're working on adding more features. I think they rushed the G910+ so that they could get it out for the holidays.

Headhunter-242

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
I wouldn't mind one of these new keyboards that allows you to colour individual keys different colours (for Premiere editing etc) but I STILL NEED my Logitech keyboards little LED display panel to show me into - I ALWAYS have this displaying everything about CPU/GPU/MEMORY conditions using MSI Afterburner while playing BF4. Attention Logitech I will NOT buy any of your new keyboards without this feature.

The Keyboard has a smartphone dock and an app to replace the screen. I like this sollution but I would like to see more funcionality as in Roccat's Power-Grid or Razer's Switchblade. Right now it doesn't have the functionality to replace the G15/G19 display. But there was a nice community creating stuff for the display, so I think think things will work out eventually.

I still have a 1st gen. G15 wich still works fine (I do have the slow BIOS reaction). The reason I bought this keyboard, was for the 18 G-keys, but after I bought a G13 They where hardly needed. 9 G-keys wi be more then enough.

Only thing I hope for now, is that Logitech makes a new G13 that matches the design of the G910 and that my old one breaks down :)

Cybergsus

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Well I must say...got the keyboard for a week now and...yes it´s an awesome feeling.
The only 2 things I have to complayn about is:
You can´t dissable buttons I mean that unnassasary cap where I always get on is "caps lock" ...hate that one....and the second thing is:
As I got the keyboard I wanted to try direktly the possibilety to conect my phone, the big dissepointment where that the slot was actually just a slot to hold you mobile screen. There is no way to connect via USB on keyboard weell...playing for 8h doesn´t work with your mobilephone :-/
But it looks nice with my ASUS fonepad on see link ;-)
2qnmixx.jpg

I really recomend that keyboard not only for the lighting effects also for the great work with the Roma caps...nicely done. (we will see in a couple of monthes)

LeCreaux

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
I own both the Corsair K70 and the Logitech G910. I've used the Corsair K70 for about a year and I'll start with that one.

CORSAIR K70

POSITIVES: The Corsair K70 is very solid and looks great. The wrist rest is very comfortable and the keyboard stays in place on my glass-topped desk no matter how aggressive I get with it while gaming. For a while I wondered where it had been all my (gaming) life.

NEGATIVES: The Corsair K70 keys have a lot of travel distance and can get very fatiguing if you're transitioning from a membrane keyboard. The keys are also very loud. People on voice chat constantly complain about its CLACK CLACK CLACK. It also tends to double-press letters so I have to do a lot of proofreading and retyping. The lighting is uneven under the keys. The worst feature of the Corsair K70 is that the lights began to fail after only a few months. This is a BIG DEAL since the lights were the main reason I chose the Corsair K70 over other mechanical keyboards.

LOGITECH G910

POSITIVES: Since the switches are designed to be illuminated the keys are very bright and clearly lit. The keys are also soft to press and relatively quiet. This could be related to how shallow the key-travel is compared to the Corsair K70. If you're transitioning from a membrane keyboard the Logitech G910 should feel natural. Since I'm transitioning from the Corsair K70, my fingers feel like they're on vacation while typing. I don't mind the shape of the key caps at all, but I'm a touch-typist and my fingers go where they're supposed to without any sliding.

NEGATIVES: Although the Logitech G910 comes with two wrist wrests, I had to choose the one I disliked the least. Neither are really wrist rests, they're just cosmetic clip-ons. There's a frame underneath that provides the actual support. The smaller clip-on fits better on the frame so I use that one. The rear support props have very little grip so when I use them the keyboard slides around on my desk. The keycap letters seem to have a natural bluish tint so they can't do white or yellow lights. White comes out blue and yellow comes out green.

OVERALL

In the end, both keyboards have the same key layout so choosing one is really deciding which keys and wrist rest you like. I like the ROMER-G switches of the Logitech G910 better than the Cherry switches of the Corsair K70. I like the shape of the keyboard and the wrist rest of the Corsair K70 better. The tie-breaker is the lights. In my opinion the Logitech is the winner in lighting and the utility to configure them is intuitive to use.

sylerner

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Niels, next time you get to talk with a peripheral designer, can you PLEASE ask them why no one is building a mech board with an ergonomic layout ( and I'm not talking about the wacky TECK board. ) Seriously, get some mech switches with a light ergo curve like the MS 2000 or 5000 series, backlight it, and watch it fly off the shelf.
I absolutely second (and third!) this.

I have been searching on and off for a few years for a sane ergonomic keyboard with good mechanical switches. At this point I can't even find one with good membrane switches.

This search has been complicated by the fact that I have no use for keyboards that have evolved so far from normal that they look like a prop from a low budget B movie.

My ideal ergonomic keyboard is the original Microsoft Natural Keyboard (model 59758). Even better would be if it had a cushioned wrist rest and an integrated multi-touch touchpad with physical buttons -- but I guess I'm getting a bit greedy actually expecting anyone to make an ideal keyboard for me just because a lot of programmers and heavy typists would line up to buy one.

Regarding the G910 Orion Spark keyboard: For those of us who aren't gamers but instead spend 8 to 12 hours a day typing code, how comfortable is this keyboard for extended typing?

I'm not particularly worried about the Romer-G switches, but the oddly shaped keycaps concern me. There isn't anywhere local where I can try out this keyboard, and I'm a bit hesitant spending close to $200 for something that could too easily turn into a rather large doorstop.

So any insight on real world extended typing using this keyboard will be greatly appreciated.

Jan 11, 2015
So glad I went into a store to feel these keys, so squishy, had you not told me otherwise I would of believed it to be a membrane keyboard. As a longtime fan of Logitech it seems that they are finally on a decline, the Arx software is useless, only good for kids that want more and more aesthetic bling blinking on their desk. Looks great in a 16 year old room, more than a bit juvenile in an adults office. Because of this keyboard I decided to end my decade plus long exclusive relationship with this line and got a Corsair Vengeance K70...best keyboard ever.

LeCreaux

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

I can definitely understand that. I do prefer the professional look, solid build, and wrist rest of the K70. When the lights worked (which wasn't for long) it was a beautiful keyboard. The G910 does look and feel like a toy.

I have the brown-switch K70 model so I can't vouch for the red or blue switches. I learned touch-typing in the 1970s on mechanical typewriters, making me an aggressive jackhammer on keyboards. Membrane keyboards and laptop keyboards wear out quickly so I must use a mechanical keyboard. I can casually rattle off 80 wpm, over 100 wpm if I push it, and the long travel of Cherry switches are exhausting on my old fingers. The membrane-like keys of the G910 are quite soothing for me (and a lot quieter). Too bad they couldn't package it in a K70 physical design.

Status
Not open for further replies.