News Logitech's Steam Deck Rival Leaks With GeForce Now, xCloud Support

Cloud gaming? Yeah, no thanks.

If they could deliver something that I can run in my main PC and then stream over WiFi to the device, then I'd be less inclined to say "hard pass". Otherwise, hard pass.

That being said, looking at how Logitech has been... I don't know how to say it better... Ignored? With not much spark as of late? Just trusting they'll put a proper Steam Deck competitor is exactly what they need, if they do it right. Just, please Logitech if you're reading this, don't fall for the stupidity of "Cloud Gaming". Make a proper Steam Deck competitor: a PC first and whatever else second. Give it beefy specs, a great screen, proper battery life and amazing ergonomics at a competitive price. No need to make it $600 even, but at least under $1K with great specs.

Regards.

Reactions: salgado18

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Looks cheap in comparison to either the deck or switch... sorry to disagree with the author here but is this supposed to compete with the more premium products or slot in as another attempt at a ~199 droid gadget following a similar blueprint to disappear in a year?

Giroro

Splendid
It took me way too long to figure out that this was talking about a Steam Deck competitor and not a Stream deck competitor. Although an always-online cloud based android device is hardly a Steam Deck Competitor.

Also, the linked article from the verge contains no pictures of the Logitech device.
The only photo on that page clearly has the caption:
"Backbone recently launched a new PlayStation-inspired iPhone controller. "

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Cloud gaming? Yeah, no thanks.

If they could deliver something that I can run in my main PC and then stream over WiFi to the device, then I'd be less inclined to say "hard pass". Otherwise, hard pass.

That being said, looking at how Logitech has been... I don't know how to say it better... Ignored? With not much spark as of late? Just trusting they'll put a proper Steam Deck competitor is exactly what they need, if they do it right. Just, please Logitech if you're reading this, don't fall for the stupidity of "Cloud Gaming". Make a proper Steam Deck competitor: a PC first and whatever else second. Give it beefy specs, a great screen, proper battery life and amazing ergonomics at a competitive price. No need to make it $600 even, but at least under $1K with great specs.

Regards.
I agree on the points about local streaming and PC in general. But it could still be a nice device if it had mid-strong specs, very good battery life (Steam Deck and alike are not good at it), and great ergonomics and controls. Smartphones are clunky to add physical buttons, and many don't have good batteries due to the need for portability. And portable PCs are way too powerful to run on small batteries, get a high end game and you're limited to 2h gaming max. I see a market for that device.

I agree on the points about local streaming and PC in general. But it could still be a nice device if it had mid-strong specs, very good battery life (Steam Deck and alike are not good at it), and great ergonomics and controls. Smartphones are clunky to add physical buttons, and many don't have good batteries due to the need for portability. And portable PCs are way too powerful to run on small batteries, get a high end game and you're limited to 2h gaming max. I see a market for that device.
You already have very good controllers for phones, so another "android console" is not really needed provided you have a decent enough phone. If you're in the market for such a product, there's a good chance you already have a competent phone that can run games and/or can get a controller for the phone. I mean, check iPega and the 8bitdo controllers. They're really good and completely kill the idea of an android portable console, unless it's capable of things a phone can't do, which I doubt Logitech can do in the same performance league of your Samsung or Asus or Sony when using Snapdragon 8+ and such.

Regards.

Reactions: salgado18

criticaloftom

Prominent
Jun 14, 2022
The only thing a logitech handheld will have for it is logitechs preipheral efficiency am i right people :p ?!
Android is a hard pass; If you are going off Windows for gaming, your starting to need to go full fat linux not some bastardized locked down version.