Logon at the library

If I take my laptop to the library and get on their wireless internet
connection,

what can somebody get off of my computer?
Can the get the computer name, or my files?

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:11:02 -0600, "dafon" <dafon@sdafon.net> wrote:

>what can somebody get off of my computer?
>Can the get the computer name, or my files?

and your fingerprints and DNA profile

Phil

Taking a moment's reflection, dafon mused:

| what can somebody get off of my computer?
| Can the get the computer name, or my files?

It depends on two things: 1) How their networking is set up, and 2)
how well your computer is locked down. They can have their WLAN set up to
where wireless clients cannot see each other. If so, then you are pretty
well safe. If not, you should have your laptop secured with a software
firewall.

Actually I was worried mostly about my DNA and fingerprints.
Apparently these library people can get them (see the previous post).
I was wondering if I should wear my laptop as a hat for protection.
Thanks

"mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailSPäM.com> wrote in message
> Taking a moment's reflection, dafon mused:
> |
> | what can somebody get off of my computer?
> | Can the get the computer name, or my files?
>
> It depends on two things: 1) How their networking is set up, and 2)
> how well your computer is locked down. They can have their WLAN set up to
> where wireless clients cannot see each other. If so, then you are pretty
> well safe. If not, you should have your laptop secured with a software
> firewall.

TRENDING THREADS