Lomac padlock fubared ?

jp

Got around to getting this, found one in the bargain bin over the weekend.

What's with the padlock, or lack of ?

Can't get this to work, all the usual suspects have been checked....

- chosen in options.
- numlock key is not lit.
- I can *see* the missle/plane, still won't padlock.
- using correct keystrokes.
- in a combat mode.
- ver 1.02

etc.

jp

"JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Got around to getting this, found one in the bargain bin over the
weekend.

> What's with the padlock, or lack of ?
>
> Can't get this to work, all the usual suspects have been checked....
>
> - chosen in options.
> - numlock key is not lit.
> - I can *see* the missle/plane, still won't padlock.
> - using correct keystrokes.
> - in a combat mode.
> - ver 1.02
>
> etc.

Well, go this figured out, and it is fubared imo. Ran some tests, me in
a Sue, unarmed Fulcrum other plane. Clear weather, etc.

Head to head merge, or one with a very shallow angle; seems to be a 10 km
trip wire for the pad, which is bs, but anyway.

Then had the Mig approach from 90 degrees. Kept it the entire time
between 60-90 degrees. I flew within .5 km of him, (visually spotted him
from approx. 5-6 km) and STILL no pad at these angles.

Not good, especially when the missle you're trying to evade is coming at
these angles if you're beaming it.

Padlock works inside of 5 miles only. The number was probably picked as a
tradeoff as it doesn't vary for lighting or other conditions.

You can often padlock in conditions where you would NEVER see the aircraft also
which is BS too if you want to get picky. Cannot padlock missiles.

I believe F5 is the default key.

Not fubared, just a compromise. Get a trackir and ignore it altogether if you
want a stiffer dose of reality.

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:49:00 -0600, "JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Got around to getting this, found one in the bargain bin over the
>weekend.
>>
>> What's with the padlock, or lack of ?
>>
>> Can't get this to work, all the usual suspects have been checked....
>>
>> - chosen in options.
>> - numlock key is not lit.
>> - I can *see* the missle/plane, still won't padlock.
>> - using correct keystrokes.
>> - in a combat mode.
>> - ver 1.02
>>
>> etc.
>
> Well, go this figured out, and it is fubared imo. Ran some tests, me in
>a Sue, unarmed Fulcrum other plane. Clear weather, etc.
>
> Head to head merge, or one with a very shallow angle; seems to be a 10 km
>trip wire for the pad, which is bs, but anyway.
>
> Then had the Mig approach from 90 degrees. Kept it the entire time
>between 60-90 degrees. I flew within .5 km of him, (visually spotted him
>from approx. 5-6 km) and STILL no pad at these angles.
>
> Not good, especially when the missle you're trying to evade is coming at
>these angles if you're beaming it.

jp

Actually, it has turned out to be 10 miles, which is ridiculous, but
anyway.

Haven't seen one time where I could padlock something I could never see.

It is definately fubared. What's really a shame/question, is why it was
changed from the original Flanker, which, to this day, has the best padlock
ever made.

Track IR.........got a $100 you want to loan me ? No keycard, no manual,
and no padlock I guess. Makes one wonder just what it does have.

"Lost One" <notme@nothere.org> wrote in message

> Padlock works inside of 5 miles only. The number was probably picked as a
> tradeoff as it doesn't vary for lighting or other conditions.
>
> You can often padlock in conditions where you would NEVER see the aircraft
also
> which is BS too if you want to get picky. Cannot padlock missiles.
>
> I believe F5 is the default key.
>
> Not fubared, just a compromise. Get a trackir and ignore it altogether if
you
> want a stiffer dose of reality.
>

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:49:00 -0600, "JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >"JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Got around to getting this, found one in the bargain bin over the
> >weekend.
> >>
> >> What's with the padlock, or lack of ?
> >>
> >> Can't get this to work, all the usual suspects have been checked....
> >>
> >> - chosen in options.
> >> - numlock key is not lit.
> >> - I can *see* the missle/plane, still won't padlock.
> >> - using correct keystrokes.
> >> - in a combat mode.
> >> - ver 1.02
> >>
> >> etc.
> >
> > Well, go this figured out, and it is fubared imo. Ran some tests, me
in
> >a Sue, unarmed Fulcrum other plane. Clear weather, etc.
> >
> > Head to head merge, or one with a very shallow angle; seems to be a 10
km
> >trip wire for the pad, which is bs, but anyway.
> >
> > Then had the Mig approach from 90 degrees. Kept it the entire time
> >between 60-90 degrees. I flew within .5 km of him, (visually spotted him
> >from approx. 5-6 km) and STILL no pad at these angles.
> >
> > Not good, especially when the missle you're trying to evade is coming
at
> >these angles if you're beaming it.

a. No. 5 miles. Absolutely, positively, 5 miles. I have spent countless
hours counting down AWACS calls to know when the padlock will begin working.

That number doesn't even work out to 10km so maybe you're griping about a
different sim. Try patching to 1.02 if you haven't. I don't think this is
something that has ever changed though.

b. Then you haven't tried very hard. Try turning on weather or getting a
target in the clouds. Get down low and put a mountain between you and the
target. I just live with it, the design was a tradeoff that has minimal impact
anyhow. FYI, lots of multiplayer rooms disable padlock.

c. Dunno, never owned/played Flanker. About that time I was flying
Hornet/Hornet Korea -- which was my preference of the period.

d. I'm not your mom. Go ask her for money or get a job like the rest of us.
Buy a cheaper used Tir2 from someone, they're perfectly good for LoMac.

e. Manual / Keycard
http://www.lo-mac.com/reference.php
(This is an EASY find in the FIRST place you should have looked.)

f. It has a fully functional padlock, just not one you like. :p

g. A couple hundred regular players between Hyperlobby and UBI online. We
won't miss you. We seem to like it well enough to waste hours flying it
enjoying ourselves and probably will continue until something better comes
along.

Just as soon as you design a better simt, we'll buy it. Until then, you're
wasting bandwidth. No one is listening. LoMac's life cycle is over. There
will be no more patches. There isn't even a hint of the next big sim on the
horizon. Part of the problem is that the next generation of aircraft are so
lopsided in capabilities and shrouded in performance secrecy that it's going to
be tough to model them for a LONG time.