London to Get 14,000-iPad Controlled Street Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyoverdin

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
The scheme is expected to cost in excess of three million pounds, however, it's thought this cost will be recouped in energy and maintenance savings.

Then why did they start with one of the most expensive and difficult to repair devices to do this? Some cheaper tablets and a lot of mobile phones are just as capable, but with smaller screens.

santiagoanders

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
This story is stupid. Get clicks because it says iPad. Smart lighting has nothing to do with Apple. I'm sure there will be more than one option for controlling the lights.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Lived in England for 4 years and they are as bad as the US idiots in charge, That is these politicians waste more tax payer money on stupid ideas or use it to buy crap from friends to make them rich, sad.

shiftstealth

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Lived in England for 4 years and they are as bad as the US idiots in charge, That is these politicians waste more tax payer money on stupid ideas or use it to buy crap from friends to make them rich, sad.[/citation]

Try moving to Greece, i hear things are going well there.

[citation][nom]santiagoanders[/nom]This story is stupid. Get clicks because it says iPad. Smart lighting has nothing to do with Apple. I'm sure there will be more than one option for controlling the lights.[/citation]
Exactly. The control system just happens to have a browser interface, which will run on an iPad. I'm sure it runs on Android also, or anything else that can run a web browser.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
What's an iPad? Is it a larger flatter version of an iTampon? I hear they also come in minis and soon heavy-flow...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I can see it now, a half dozen pimple faced hackers gearing up to write Street Apps!
Soon London will be seen from the ISS as that flashing spot in the SE of England :)

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Why are lights being controlled via Ipad?? Huge waste of money. Have the lights controlled via a central hub (you know like they do streetlights). This way a group of lights can be controlled based on varying conditions by people who know what they're doing. Oh and they can see what areas have problems with light maintenance and take steps to handle it.

Oh yea government they love wasting money :/

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Exactly. The control system just happens to have a browser interface, which will run on an iPad. I'm sure it runs on Android also, or anything else that can run a web browser.[/citation]

There are many businesses that built apps for IE6 without regards for future web browsers. And they still use IE6 because they say it's too expensive for too little improvement.

I bet 10 years from now, London might be forced to use ancient iPads without Apple's security patch support (if any) because OSX would've been very different in that time.

And they're going to refuse to rebuild the browser because it will cost too much money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS