[SOLVED] LONG and complicated RAM Dilemma

Gabe666

Reputable
Jan 25, 2017
Hi everyone !
I know that questions like '' What's faster: xxx Mhz or yyy Mhz ? or '' CL xx vs CL yy'' are very common here.
But my dilemma is a bit more complicated:

I will build a new Pc in summer (exactly when , depends on Big Navi and rtx 3000 and Intel 10 gen ). Now the coronavirus will surely also affect cpus\gpus prices\availability but I am not willing to make a compromise there and buy last gen NOW , no matter the price.
I do however want to save as much as possible for the other components like ram and SSDs.
So, after seeing Linus 's and JayzTwoCents Videos I think I should buy the Ram now since prices are still very low.

These are my two candidates and can't decide between them:
https://www.computeruniverse.net/de...-ddr4-32gtzr-kit-ram-mehrfarbig-beleuchtet-14

There are many things to consider:

-PC will only be used for gaming.

-I don't yet know if I will get the 10900K or the 3900X (I will wait for reviews)
so, if I buy the Trident Z NEO now (which is made specially for AMD) will it 100% guaranteed work with Intel?

-I will game at 3440x1440 at 100Hz (I just bought the monitor) at ultra settings in AAA games (BF5, cyberpunk 2077 etc..so no E-Sports at 240fps) That's why I am waiting for 3080ti\5950xt.
So considering that I will never need more than 100fps, does CL timing still make a difference? is raw bandwidth more important in this case?

-does higher Mhz Ram get hotter ? and if yes how much from it's lifespan does it take away ? (I will have the same good case cooling with both 3200 and 3600 mhz so the difference in temperature remains).

-If I buy 3600mhz but because the cpu officially only supports up to 2666mhz or 2900mhz does it mean that in case that the cpu wont reach 3600 I can't RMA or have any claims ?? the fall back SPD Speed of the RAM is 2133mhz (https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/326/1562840211/F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC-Specification) so I wont even be able to run at 2600\2900mhz? Is it either XPM on or off? no RAM OC like in DDR3 times ?

-2 or 4 Sticks? Some tests show 4x sticks gives better fps than 2x of same size\speed\timing . But I've heard that 4 sticks makes cpu oc harder , but I cant confirm this since I am running (for the past 3 years) my 4790k at 5.0 ghz all core with 2 different ram kits 2x 4gb +2x8gb (24gb 1333mhz total) so going by popular belief, my current pc SHOULDN'T EVEN BOOT. But I am rock stable.

Thanks for making time to read all this. I am pretty knowledgeable regarding cpu\gpu\storage etc..but as you can see, I pretty much know nothing about RAM since I never thought it is important and am running the slowest\cheapest RAM EVER. (ddr3 1333mhz)

Solution
I honestly think you shouldn't panic purchase now. If anything things are only going to start off a frenzy and by the time you do get around to purchasing a component, you'll be in the doomed waiting cycle.

In fact, I'd advise on saving up money and ofc, make sure you're not affected by the virus. Remember if you're alive you can make use of the investments you've made ;)

If you really must buy the rams now, then getting a DDR4-3600MHz kit now isn't bad but what if you get higher spec'd rams come around the corner?

2020 will be a different year and ofc it will affect the industry badly but spending on things that will definitely see improvements is a moot point.

Lutfij

Titan
I honestly think you shouldn't panic purchase now. If anything things are only going to start off a frenzy and by the time you do get around to purchasing a component, you'll be in the doomed waiting cycle.

In fact, I'd advise on saving up money and ofc, make sure you're not affected by the virus. Remember if you're alive you can make use of the investments you've made ;)

If you really must buy the rams now, then getting a DDR4-3600MHz kit now isn't bad but what if you get higher spec'd rams come around the corner?

2020 will be a different year and ofc it will affect the industry badly but spending on things that will definitely see improvements is a moot point.

Reactions: Gabe666
Solution