[SOLVED] Long awaited CPU upgrade

tyskeren

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hello

So I have had my current setup for about 4 years now, and it has served me very well, I currently run a ROG STRIX GTX 1080 and an i5-7600k 3.8 GHZ (stock).

But with the new RTX cards out I've decided to upgrade my GFX card, and I have been very lucky to be able to get my hands on a RTX 3070 at release (30 October), with that though follows the apparent need to upgrade my CPU (I think), and I've kinda decided that I wanna jump ship to a Ryzen processor.
Now my initial plan is to wait for November 5'th and maybe be able to grab one of the new Zen 3 CPU's, but in the event that I don't succeed, I need to figure out an alternative, in this case if I miss out, I would prefer not to wait and simply buy something else instead.

Main use of my PC is gaming and work (leaning more towards gaming than work, because I also have a seperate work PC, but would still like for it to be viable in both situations, I work mainly in Autodesk software, Maya and BIM/CAD tools), reason for upgrading now, is mainly some new game releases that I have been waiting for (Cyberpunk 2077 and Assassin's Creed etc.)

I own a 1440P monitor, and my main objective is mostly just to be able to run most things around or above 60FPS with everything/most things maxed out, and preferably not bottlenecking my new GPU (which I suspect would happen with my current CPU)

Main question, which one of the new Zen 3 CPU's would you recommend I aim at, I do very much prefer value for money, so gains of 5-10 fps for a considerable amount of money is not worth it for me personally.
Perhaps the more important question, and more likely scenario to happen, if I am unable to get my hands on Zen 3, what current CPU out there should I then be going for, from what I've seen in most cases Intels CPU's do perform quite a bit better in most games at almost the same pricepoint, I am very curious to hear from people who own any of the current gen CPU's.

Thanks for any answers, sorry for the wall of text.

Solution
It most def won't fit then :D
So my recommendation is this: Aim for a Ryzen 7, a good cooler, a B550 board. An X570 board often isn't worth it unless you really need the extra USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps), 6 more SATA ports, or SLI. If you have extra money, then go to a Ryzen 9.

The only problem is that Zen 3 processors may not be compatible out of the box with any of the 500 series boards on launch. Unless AMD's processor loan program (described in https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100) extends out to 500 series boards for Zen 3 or you can find a board that can update the BIOS without a compatible processor, your only other option would be to get the cheapest compatible CPU you can find, update the BIOS, then return it.
At the very least you should aim for a Ryzen 7. That would give you a massive performance boost in applications that scale with cores. If you can afford it, a Ryzen 9 isn't a bad idea either.

Just note you may have to spend a bit more to get a better cooler. While the stock cooler is fine, it's the not the greatest.

tyskeren

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
At the very least you should aim for a Ryzen 7. That would give you a massive performance boost in applications that scale with cores. If you can afford it, a Ryzen 9 isn't a bad idea either.

Just note you may have to spend a bit more to get a better cooler. While the stock cooler is fine, it's the not the greatest.

I have a cooler master cooler on my current CPU (which has served me really well), or will that not work with the Ryzen?

It most def won't fit then :D
So my recommendation is this: Aim for a Ryzen 7, a good cooler, a B550 board. An X570 board often isn't worth it unless you really need the extra USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps), 6 more SATA ports, or SLI. If you have extra money, then go to a Ryzen 9.

The only problem is that Zen 3 processors may not be compatible out of the box with any of the 500 series boards on launch. Unless AMD's processor loan program (described in https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100) extends out to 500 series boards for Zen 3 or you can find a board that can update the BIOS without a compatible processor, your only other option would be to get the cheapest compatible CPU you can find, update the BIOS, then return it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS